Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

01-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
So this morning, I received an email from a trader I have dealt with-
because she needed 2500.00
You see, she was in Nigeria for a conference and disaster struck.

Sound familiar?

Well the email was the accurate email-
and the info, even the writing style was accurate to this user.
But PMING them on my site, after reading it- they have no clue they are in dire straits, because they are in canada, and haven't been able to log into their hotmail account for a week

http://networks.silicon.com/broadban...0003145,00.htm

Turns out this is a huge scam right now.

I don't use my hotmail account often, I set it up as an extra account, for some anonymous help.
But, I just changed the password- and checked it- you may want to also.

01-28-2008, 02:08 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
Yup, those Nigerian scams are a pain. That's why I'm a member of 419eater.com - we're scambaiters. In my spare time, I string along an unsuspecting scammer, get them to do work for me, waste tons of time and get nothing in return. The idea is, if they're wasting time with me, they're not scammer innocent folks. It's a good hobby, and we've been able to close down quite a few of the scammers.

I had one scammer going for weeks and weeks. I posed as the Rev. James L. Bakker (aka, Jim Bakker)...wife was Tami, secretary Jessica. I even had all three of them/me involved with the scammer, playing one character against the other. They thought we were going to help them get their money (you know, the fee for the millions they have in the bank in Nigeria), but first needed help from them by scouting potential areas of Nigeria to build a new mission for the Paul The Lutherian (PTL) church. One guy sent me site photos, dimensions, etc.
  01-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
http://spamlinks.net/track-report-addresses.htm#isp

In case anyone needs it this is a link to report fraud for just about anything, anywhere. From ebay, to country by country

This fruit loop, I wrote back and said SURE i have 900.00 sitting here, where do I send it.

Idiot sent me their personal info- so hope that gets them nailed, as I forwarded it on.

419eater.com i'll have to look into that.

if the info is of any use- this is what they replied with, when I offered to send the 900.00

PAYMENT INFORMATION

Receiver's Name: Laura Day
Address: 24 Standerd Hotel Avr
City: Victoria Island
State: Lagos
Zipcode: 23401
Text Question: Money to
Answer: Laura Day

As soon as you send out the money do get back to me with the payment details,the senders name,Amount you send and MTCN 10 digit # of the payment that will be given to you from the bank receipt of the payment in order to receive the money overhere.
Thank you.
Laura Day.
  01-28-2008, 07:21 AM

Verified Member

Ah yes, the Western Union MTCN - we have a 'security site' we send these scammers to, which promises to get them their MTCN if they answer some basic security questions:

- What is your age? How long have you been that old?
- What is you hair color?
- What are your favorite colors?
- Are you now, or have you ever been in the past, a member of the Mafia?

I saw one 'authorization form' that was sent to a scammer, it had 419 questions to answer - to get his MTCN #.....he filled them all out and faxed his answers (long distance from Nigeria!!).
  01-28-2008, 07:32 AM

Verified Member

If you want to read up on one of the best examples ever of 'scambaiting', check out this one by the master - Shiver Metimers (it's a long post, but well worth the read):

http://www.419eater.com/html/bigman.htm
  01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32

If I dont know who it is. DELETE lol
  01-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Some SOB stole my lordsmurf@hotmail account in 2001 while I was in Canada. Bastard. I was gone all summer, didn't know for several months. Thankfully I rarely used the account, so I lost almost nothing (few e-mails from ex-girlfriends at most -- no loss there). This was back when hotmail was getting hacked, cracked and DOS'd. Hotmail sucks, always has. I prefer yahoo.com or a commercial server (HSP, ISP, workplace), using POP3 with MS Outlook.

02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I have a yahoo and gmail account.