Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
If you've logged into your UserCP (the "profile" or "User Control Panel"),
you've likely seen the "unread PMs" notice on the home area of the UserCP. It shows a bunch of old PMs that you don't see in your inbox anymore.

Well, this is an error from the old software converting to the new software. The old software worked different. It confused the new software.

Like this:

Name:  pm-convert-error.gif
Views: 95
Size:  12.6 KB

Mine shows PMs from 2005 ... yours are probably newer, from 2008-2009, let me explain why.

Those are not your inbox PMs, but rather your sent PMs. If you want that list to go away, you'll need to do one of two things.

1. Delete every sent message from you Sent box. I didn't want to do that, so I chose the next options.
  2. Mark every message as read.
To do this, you'll need to click on the "check all" box at the top of the PM sent messages box.

Name:  pm-checks.gif
Views: 70
Size:  4.1 KB

Note that the forum software has an internal error. There are two checks there, either works -- but only for the whole page currently shown. I had 9 pages of sent PMs, I had to repeat this 9 times. The big number at the very top has a check box -- and ideally this would do everything in the box (in my case, all 425+ message) -- but the darn thing is broken in the code. Not my fault, this is known bug for next release.

..... and then go to delete or "mark as read" and click GO

Name:  pm-action.gif
Views: 68
Size:  2.5 KB

And another PM error...

Note that when you read old PMs from other people, it's going to show YOUR avatar and user information instead of theirs. When you go to reply, it will reply to the correct person, it just shows the old message with your user info.

Most packages don't even import PMs, so in a way we're lucky here to have anything, period -- even if it is a tad fubar, we'll live.

This only affects CPS members. New TVP members (non-CPS'ers) won't ever see this mess. Nor will new CPS members.