Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

08-10-2005, 05:58 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
I never really bought the argument that Demolition were LOD clones. It's true that the Demos wore face faint, but there style was different. The Bladerunners and Powers of Pain were bigger rip offs. Powers of Pain were like the Bizaro LOD. Not to say I wasn't an LOD fan. I don't think there's such a thing as a wrestling fan who didn't like the LOD. Their charisma and the fact that they were pushed as unbeatable monsters made them cool.

Here's my trivia question: What were the original names of the Blade Runners? Here's a hint it wasn't Sting and the Ultimate Warrior?

I remember the Texas Hangmen in the dying days of the AWA when they had that $1million dollar team challenge series(wink, wink). I remember they faced another masked team named the Tokyo Bullets.

Anybody remember the Longriders: Scott Hogg Irwin and Wild Bill Irwin.
Scott wrestled in World Class as a Super Destroyer. I think he was like the first person to use a superplex in the U.S.

The wrestling announcers make me cringe for the most part these days.
Anybody else remember Gordon Solie calling a suplex a Soo-play. It'
s proper french pronounciation that nobody uses.
  08-10-2005, 03:13 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WEW3

I never really bought the argument that Demolition were LOD clones. It's true that the Demos wore face faint, but there style was different. The Bladerunners and Powers of Pain were bigger rip offs. Powers of Pain were like the Bizaro LOD. Not to say I wasn't an LOD fan. I don't think there's such a thing as a wrestling fan who didn't like the LOD. Their charisma and the fact that they were pushed as unbeatable monsters made them cool.

Here's my trivia question: What were the original names of the Blade Runners? Here's a hint it wasn't Sting and the Ultimate Warrior?

I remember the Texas Hangmen in the dying days of the AWA when they had that $1million dollar team challenge series(wink, wink). I remember they faced another masked team named the Tokyo Bullets.

Anybody remember the Longriders: Scott Hogg Irwin and Wild Bill Irwin.
Scott wrestled in World Class as a Super Destroyer. I think he was like the first person to use a superplex in the U.S.

The wrestling announcers make me cringe for the most part these days.
Anybody else remember Gordon Solie calling a suplex a Soo-play. It'
s proper french pronounciation that nobody uses.
Answers to your trivia question: Steve "Sting" Borden was "Flash" and Jim "Ultimate Warrior" Hellwig was "Rock"...."If ya smellalalalow...what the rock is cooking!!!"

Dan D.
  08-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I was going to post that sooner or later, this pic is great

However what is even more funny is the hatred these 2 have for each other, I mean Warrior is insane as anyone who has read his rants and seen him in person, he is a looney toon
  08-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
Warrior and Sting were called the Bladerunners
  08-14-2005, 10:32 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
I think the Bladerunners made their tag team debut in Memphis. It was a really short run. They didn't stay long enough to make any kind of impact. Most people remember them from their UWF/Mid-South run. I don't know if this is true or not but supposedly Dick Slater put a hurting on the future Warrior for making a pass at Dark Journey.
Hellwig went to World Class and made a name as the Dingo Warrior. Sting actually learned how to wrestle and teamed with Rick Steiner and had Hotstuff Eddie Gilbert as his manager. I used to love his ring intro as every woman's dream and every man's nightmare. That goes right up there with the Midnight Express twin brothers from different mothers.