Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

08-14-2005, 04:48 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
What a lemon.

It uses LSI encoder chips, so it has a good picture. It also has a great tuner and can play R2/R4 PAL discs, no problem. That's all the is good about it.

But the unit is plaged by mechanical errors and power failures. Timers don't work. Unit randomly turns on and off. The picture can freeze while recording. You can accidentally erase over other recordings. It fails to power on sometimes, even after unplugging and re-plugging it in a few times. Expensive too, in general. I picked it up yesterday on sale for $180, but I am returning here today already.

Avoid.

It was the only LSI Philips, reason I tried it. All other Philips and Maggotbox units are using Philip's own noisy chipset.