Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

08-12-2006, 05:14 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 78 posts since Aug 2005
Does anyone know of a good standalone recorder that will last awhile? I have had 4 different brands in 6 months. I would like one compatable with TMPGEnc dvd author. So I don't have to run everything through dvd shrink. Oh yeah, under $300.00 Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve
  08-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
JVC, Pioneer, or Toshiba DVD recorders.
I've had my JVC DR-M10S since May 2004. The JVC DR-M100S since last year.
  08-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Zenith dvdrecorders are nice. LSI chip set ( JVC) :P under 300.00

heehaw...did you try importing dvd ( Not import FILE ) > let TDA back the video as mpeg for you.?
It will save as TDA 000 blah blah mpeg... I have done it that way with all sorts of dvdrecorder dscs. Including philips , jvc, sony, panasonic.

Is it possible your dvd rom is dirty. Or on its last leg ? I would try the little stuff first. Before spending any more money on a recorder

Do you have the Ac3 plug in for TDA? If not I can email it to you
  08-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I like my Pioneer 533 - the 633 apparently thrashes a lot on the TV Guide download. Lots of neat image and sound refinement tools. I've got that recorder dedicated to conversions, and my Panasonic dedicated to off-DISH Network recordings. I think I paid a little more than $300 for it, though.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  08-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Like JVC, Pioneer, or Toshiba DVD recorders are the best bet.

I have JVC and my brother has Toshiba, excellent recordings.

Pioneer you can sometimes find on sale or discount at Walmart, its random but they did offer some nice deals at the end of last year on them even including blank media for free.

My brother got his Toshiba as a $99 special weekend sale from Best Buy a few months back, they were running a special where they had them for under $150-200 later so they are affordable.
  08-13-2006, 10:23 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 283 posts since Jun 2005
I had the Pioneer " Walmart Model" The Recordings were mono not stereo. I returned the unit and got the JVC M10 at Good Guys. The JVC makes dirty video look better.
  08-13-2006, 10:25 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 78 posts since Aug 2005
Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I really appreciate it. I'll be keeping it in mind. CP32, I'll be emailing you privately. Thanks, Steve