Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
The big buzz today in New York is the news that Warner Bros. Entertainment has decided to stop making HD DVD discs and will become a Blu-ray-only studio at the end of May. Needless to say, this is a major blow to the HD DVD camp, which earlier this year struck a deal with Paramount to go HD DVD exclusive. You could say this is a tit-for-tat move by Sony and the Blu-ray camp, but it's actually more of a clubbing because Warner has a much bigger library of movies than Paramount.

While rumors of Warner potentially dumping HD DVD have been circulating for the past few months, the timing of the announcement right before the start of the Consumer Electronics Show seems designed to inflict maximum damage to Toshiba's planned HD DVD push at the show. With lower prices on its standalone players and the Paramount deal, Toshiba and HD DVD backers such as Microsoft appeared to be gaining some momentum in the format war. But now the company is faced with a PR nightmare. (An HD DVD event is scheduled for Sunday in Las Vegas; it should be interesting). No one knows at this point what it took for Warner to say sayonara to HD DVD, but you can bet it involved a truckload of something.

Does this spell the end for HD DVD? If I had to give a yes or no answer, I'd have to say yeah, it's probably curtains. The fact is, with the lack of studio support, it's very hard to recommend to readers to buy an HD DVD player, even if it is half the price of a Blu-ray machine. All that said, things have looked bleak for Toshiba and HD DVD before and they've managed to scrap their way back into contention, so you never know. Feel free to weigh in after you read the full press release from Warner, which I've posted below via The Digital Bits:

WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE ITS HIGH-DEFINITION DVD TITLES EXCLUSIVELY IN THE BLU-RAY DISC FORMAT BEGINNING LATER THIS YEAR

Decision made in response to strong consumer preference for format

(January 4, 2008 - Burbank, CA) - In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with the
  01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I find myself able to finally use the word "flip-flopper". I wonder who will change to what next.
  01-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

I find myself able to finally use the word "flip-flopper". I wonder who will change to what next.
  01-07-2008, 01:17 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
This really doesn't matter. Neither of these formats is really gonna come close to original DVD anyway, as far as adoption from consumers go.
  01-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
It doesnt matter to me. Whatever Star Wars is released on is what I will get!!!!!
  01-13-2008, 04:20 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Man, I don't see Bill Gates giving up on this one! I wonder if Microsoft will pull something out of their hat to get the general public to choose HD. The cost of Blue Ray DVD player has to come way down before I see a final shift to Blue-Ray. Plus Sony business acumen has never been that reliable!
  01-13-2008, 11:06 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Yeah, but Microsoft just said that HD-DVD means nothing to them and has nothing to do with XBox 360 success. They have backed off HD pretty much already. Even though I don't care about these 2 formats, It is nice to finally be down to 1. BTW, has anyone here been using HDMI connections and got burned on the DRM built into them?
  01-14-2008, 02:27 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
well i love blu-ray and HD-DVD too but i prefer blu-ray.
  01-14-2008, 06:39 AM

What will be the effect on us as traders? Will it effect our recording and burning habits? What about discs?
  01-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MagnificentMarcus

What will be the effect on us as traders? Will it effect our recording and burning habits? What about discs?
I've heard Blu Ray media will eventually be around 40gb. Imagine having that much room. I'll make the switch when the time and price is right. It will be a slow process like the VHS to DVD conversion. But it will all so cool to burn HD shows onto Blu Ray. I'm almost to the point that I won't watch anymore shows unless it's broadcast in HD.

ttyl
  01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The effect on traders will be close to nil. The tools are expensive and complex. Thousands of dollars. You'll have to learn Java if you want to make a fancy menu. It won't be as easy as DVD-Video format was. I don't foresee trading moving to BD, because most everything we'll be trading will be SD anyway, or broadcast HD at best (which quite honestly looks better as 720x480 16:9, due to the way compression is).

01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
im like that too now about only watching shows broadcasted in hd. i make a few exceptions for a few shows on USA Network and Spike TV
  01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Verified Member

i think people will be trading dual layer before they go to BD. most of us are still using the standard dvd size 4.7 for trading/making sets

01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by konfusion

i think people will be trading dual layer before they go to BD. most of us are still using the standard dvd size 4.7 for trading/making sets
It'll be a while before the Blu Ray jump. I'll wait until the cost is better and the programs are easier. Like all media, it will get better, cheaper and easier to use.
  01-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Verified Member

i remember when dvd and cd blanks used to cost an arm and a leg.
  01-14-2008, 04:28 PM

See this is why I don't think HD is not dead. Toshiba is already dropping the price, if Sony doesn't match them I think Sony will do what they always do!SCREW THEMSELVES!
  01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Verified Member

Home Media Magazine, the weekly industry magazine which alerts retailers and those inside the home media industry to news and releases, has posted a statement to the HD DVD Promotional Group: "Knock it off". Stating consumer confusion as the reason for lack of consumer adoption of high definition home media, magazine contributor Thomas K. Arnold has asked that HD DVD step down instead of delaying the inevitable Blu-ray victory.

With Warner Home Video dumping HD DVD, the format has the support of just two of the six major studios. It cannot win. At best, it can be a spoiler, but I'm hoping Toshiba, Universal and Paramount will take the high road and, for the good of the entire industry, bow out. Universal and Paramount, in particular, need to jump on the Blu-ray Disc bandwagon so we can go into the new year with a unified front and a unified mission: To educate consumers about the advantages of high-definition media and convince them the time to transition from standard DVD to Blu-ray is the day they bring that HDTV into their home.

Studio support

Blu-ray support HD-DVD support

Warner Bros.
Disney (Buena Vista)
Fox
Sony Pictures
Lionsgate
MGM

HD-DVD support

Paramount
Universal Studios
  01-15-2008, 03:04 AM

I don't see it happening, the write-off for Toshiba would be huge! Toshiba's management are the type to make lemonaide out of a box load of lemons. I'm telling you, Sony's management are the biggest idiots to walk the planet. They are going to rest on their laurels and try and shove it down the consumers throat and then wonder why they lost the boat!

Give it 90 days!
  01-15-2008, 05:25 AM
Verified Member

well i dont want them to stop making hddvd cause i spent 1000 on my toshiba player which is the best one. the HD-XA2 when it came out. so i dont want it to sit there collecting dust.
  01-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Verified Member

Watch this youtube video

The Downfall of HD-DVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friS4OOcdgQ