Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

07-30-2005, 12:29 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 121 posts since Jun 2005
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but all yellow-top Maxell DVD-Rs that used to be made in Japan are now made in Taiwan. I bought some (didn't look at the label) and found out that they are Riteks. Now I can't find any Maxells that are made in Japan anymore. Had to switch to TYs.
  07-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
It's a mix. There are still plenty MXL media made in Japan, but the demand of Maxell was so high that they contracted out to RITEK to fill the gap. Not a great move, but what can you do? Just hunt for the Japan ones. And while this month may be Taiwan, next month might be Japan again, so don't give up for good.
  07-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I've found the Japan white-topped Maxells at Walmart, if that helps ...
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  07-30-2005, 02:58 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 121 posts since Jun 2005
Thanks LS, I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks Deb, I'll check it out at my local Wal-mart. Might be a little pricy being that they are printables, though. Also, Wal-Mart in Hawaii tends to be overpriced compared to the rest of the US. That's why I usually buy on-line wherever offers USPS shipping.
  07-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I think I paid $15ish for the inkjet printable Maxells (Japan-made) in spindles of 25 at my local Wal-Mart.

Good luck!
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  07-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Walmart sadly is clearancing out the inkjet printables, at least in all their midwest stores. They are around $13 for 25 now and dropping. Could just be a regional thing though

I was in the same situation as LG except with the gold discs, just bought them in a hurry and seemed to have got the last of the JP and then TW as the bulk, I verify each disc and have had no bad burns with the Ritek gold but whatcha gonna do, live and learn I guess and wait patiently till the made in JP stuff comes back if/when