Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

05-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
During its heydey, Seinfeld was funny, creative and realistic.

The finale, however, was almost universally panned by critics and fans. Featuring the quartet laughing and mocking a man in need of help instead of coming to his rescue, the largely clip-show format, and the highly unlikely year-long imprisonment of the foursome. The finale was not the only bad episode of the season, as there was the infamous "backwards episode" earlier in the year.

The group, sans Jerry Seinfeld, who seemed to enjoy semi-retirement, attempted to find success Post-Seinfeld with unimpressive results. The Michael Richards show, Bob Patterson, Watching Ellie, and Listen Up were all pretty much ignored by critics and fans and all of them would be cancelled within a short period of time. This would lead to the term "Seinfeld Curse", (though the curse was finally lifted in 2006 (8 years after the show ended) with "New Adventures of Old Christine", and Julia also hosted Saturday Night Live around this time.

And then there was Michael Richards rant against African-Americans. After listening to the speech, it was clear that Richards is crazy, and it rightfully signalled the end of his career.

So with all of that being said, I have to wonder if Seinfeld is left with this gigantic stain on its reputation. I'm not trying to excuse the aforementioned mistakes, but it still was a funny, innovative show. And if such a stain exists, should the cast, minus Michael Richards, get together for one final episode, so that we can remember Seinfeld for the good times and not all of the ugliness that is associated with what happened at the end and afterwards? I'm thinking yes.

any thoughts?
  05-16-2010, 06:37 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 389 posts since Aug 2005
I agree, but the show is not the same with out Michael Richards. While he has many demons he was perfect for the show and I would love to see him sliding thru the door one more time.

It's like doing a new episode of Everybody loves Raymond without the late Peter Boyle. It would seem empty.

Harvey
  09-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
Michael Richards gets even crazier. Here is a report on him beating up a photographer for no apparent reason.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/09/11/michae...apher-battery/
  09-12-2010, 05:23 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 235 posts since Nov 2009
"Should Seinfeld come back for one more episode?"

No. I always thought it was a very lame show and not all that funny. There's not an episode that I had the misfortune to watch that I didn't wish for a car accident or a sniper to take out all four of those self-indulgent idiots. The one good thing to come out of Michael Richards racist insanity is that there won't be a reunion show/movie.
  09-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 32 posts since Dec 2006
Seinfield let a lot of people down with its finale. I think it would be hard to do another episode, purely because the fan base may not be forgiving enough to embrace it.