Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

01-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
BBC America is apparently going to censor and edit the second season of Torchwood (which hasn't aired yet) so they can air it in an earlier time slot and so younger viewers can watch it without them having to endure horrific experiences of swearing on television when they certainly get it every single day at home and at school instead.

It's kind of funny though that they're going to scrub the language and sexual content, of which there is a fair amount in reference, though I'm not talking about nudity here. Beyond being decently written and entertaining science fiction, Torchwood treats adult viewers like adults by showing us a fictionally adult world that isn't sanitized to the lowest common denominator like they do in the United States.

That it's being scrubbed in repeats actually angers me, because like I said, one of the most alluring and enjoyable aspects of this show is that it's nothing like American television. Much to the consternation of the holy, there are gay and bi people on this planet and their number is not small. Unlike in the US where you can see gay people who typically don't actually act like gay people, making them stand out like props looking like only token attempts at exploring a new angle, on Torchwood they're already well past that point.

Over there, it's just business as usual. As the series lead character said in the first season, "you people and your quaint categories."
  01-16-2008, 11:28 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
I had heard they were going to run two airings on the show, one earlier in the day (censored) and another later (uncensored). Did they scratch that plan?
  01-17-2008, 03:24 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Padre2

I had heard they were going to run two airings on the show, one earlier in the day (censored) and another later (uncensored). Did they scratch that plan?
I don't know. It'll still be cut for commercials because the show is 50-55 minutes. I'll be getting the UK versions in widescreen.

ttyl