Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

06-10-2005, 05:30 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/4600291.stm

British director Matthew Vaughn has quit X-Men 3 to spend more time with his family, the studio has confirmed. The Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels producer was due to begin shooting the comic-book blockbuster in Canada and America next month.

"As the shooting evolved, he realised he would have to move to Los Angeles and Vancouver for at least a year," said a 20th Century Fox spokesman. "Not wishing to uproot his family, Vaughn opted to depart the production."

The 34-year-old director has two children - Casper, two, and six-month-old Clementine - with his supermodel wife, Claudia Schiffer.

"We understand Matthew's reasons for leaving, as nothing is more important than family," continued the studio representative.

The third film in the X-Men franchise would have seen Vaughn reunite with his Lock, Stock co-star Vinnie Jones, who has been cast as "900-pound battering ram" Juggernaut. Frasier star Kelsey Grammer will also appear as a furry blue mutant named Beast. Vaughn originally stepped in when Bryan Singer, director of the first two X-Men films, opted to direct the new Superman movie instead. The British producer made his directorial debut last year with the crime thriller Layer Cake.
  06-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
That's not even the worst news. Brett Ratner (Rush Hour 1 & 2, Red Dragon) has been signed to replace him. I won;t as negative as most and say that he's not capable of making a good movie (it all hinges in the script), but I don't have high hopes. Rumors are that 3 characters die and one losers their powers.

It's a safe bet that Wolverine will be fine, as it was announced today that Hugh Jackman had signed a first look production deal with FOX on a solo Wolverine film to begin after X3. Let's hope that's it's balls to the wall and R-rated, that would be too cool. It will never happen that way though.
  06-10-2005, 05:49 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by allaboutduncana solo Wolverine film to begin after X3. Let's hope that's it's balls to the wall and R-rated, that would be too cool. It will never happen that way though.
I can see it now: Jessica Simpson is the co-star and Paris Hilton plays the villian. Add Chris Rock as the token black guy, and thus creates another pile of Hollywood crap. Superhero movies are being ruined by talentless T&A (latest ones: Jessica Alba, and that chick from Dawson's Creek), crappy effects ("me CGI hulk, me smash"), watered stories (Electra, Catwoman, Daredevil), and arcane political correctness ("too many white people" so they turn well-known characters black, Asian, hispanic, etc... as if nobody would notice). The death of the genre has begun again.
  06-10-2005, 06:07 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Whoa, Jessica Alba is HOT!!!! LS, I would have agreed till you bashed my girl. I even rented Honey to watch her. She's a draw not a negative.
  06-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Well, as it's set, Ratner won't really have any say in any of those areas. He's coming into a project only weeks away from shooting, so he'll only be able to make very small changes. Not that makes any of what LS said any better, but I'll agree with Marcus. Jessica Alba is noting but an assest to the FF movie. I'm borderline on that one and will go to see it when it comes out. The latest trailer was much better and the Human Torch looks to be the "Wolverine / breakout character" of that film.

It's all about finding a director / creative team with a passion for the character. That's why I think Singer's Superman will be good. Have you watched the video of Clark throwing the baseball into the stratosphere? Simply awesome and such a simple scene that "gets" Superman.

Same thing with Spider-Man. Raimi has a passion and he's stated he like to do as many as six films as long as Marvel will keep him around.

Crappy effects weren't the problem with the Hulk. It's called crappy story. Too much metaphysical and science mumbo-jumbo and not enough emotional connection with the character. If I recall, Lou Ferigno's green make-up and fright wig looked pretty crappy, but that show still hold's up well because of the plots. Still get a lump in my throat when I see Banner walking down the road with a duffel bag on the shoulder and that piano music playing.
  06-15-2005, 08:21 AM

Invisible Woman is supposed to be the cute girl next door. Not overly sexy, just pretty nice on the eyes.

A superbabe like Alba is not fitting of the part.

If they "need" T&A for the movie to succeed, that says volumes about the story writing. Good movies like Star Wars are built around "nobody" actors/actresses. Singer has the right idea (Superman, a nobody actor).

Using an "all star" cast gives you "masterpieces" like the last two Batman movies.
  06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
lol masterpieces, thats a pleasant term

The Batman movie from my point of view suffers because the car sucks complete and total *** (the batmobile has always been sleek, wtf is this piece of garbage, suv tank thing) and Katie Holmes is ok but I do not like where they took that character from what I have read, they could have done a lot worse

I would agree with you on Star Wars in the beginning but not Ep I,II,or III as Hayden was the only unknown and he was not if you were into drama's, he had a nice following for the tv shows he was on and the good roles he was given (unlike the anakin role which reduced a really good actor to whiney crap thanks to George Lucas lol)

I think we do need to REALLY stop with the BIG names in these movies, a lot of them come with baggage and seem to sit on their past to get them through the movies instead of working to make the movie their own (I like how Tobey played the Peter Parker role most fo the time), I think the new Batman's movie choice for Bruce Wayne was excellent, stop paying out the $$$$ to actors and spend more on the script I guess is my complaint
  06-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I think Jessica Alba looks like a spanish hooker with a cheap blonde wig.
  06-22-2005, 09:45 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 267 posts since Jun 2005
Is that a complaint?