Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
I recently listened to an interview with an artist for the Teen Titans Go! comic on the Comic Geek Speak podcast and he stated Titans was cancelled because it was not making enough money on licensing. The following article from Newsarama pretty much confirms it and says that Krypto is the next on the chopping block.

**********Newsarama Article**********

KRYPTO TO THE DOGHOUSE?
Inside Source Alleges Licensing Dictating Why DC Titles Being Dropped At Cartoon Network

by Steve Fritz

Fans wondering why Cartoon Network dropped Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited may finally start getting their answers. As it stands, a very well-placed source inside Warner Bros. Animation informed me that the last currently-running DC-related property, Krypto The Super Dog, is also on the verge of being cancelled.

When it comes down to brass tacks, the source alleges the key reason is licensing.

"CN wants to focus on their own properties," says the source. "While I can understand this, I think that Krypto needs saving. I know it's not necessarily the most popular show on CN, but, it is a WB Animation/DC property, and so saving it could have very positive repercussions on the long-term DC/CN relationship. We weren't able to save JLU or Teen Titans because we didn't know that they were ending until too late. But if we act now to start a 'Save Krypto' letter writing campaign to the powers that be at CN, it might make a huge difference in the future of the show. Plus it shows CN there is a large fan base for the DC properties on their network, possibly paving the way for a return to CN of several other DC properties"

For a point of clarification, the upcoming Legion of Super-Heroes animated series is being produced by Warner Bros. Animation (under supervising producer James Tucker of JLU fame) and will be shown on whatever KidsWB will be called as a result of the WB/UPN merger.

It should be noted that Cartoon Network has been approached about this allegation, and a promised response has not been received as of press time.

On the other hand, I think I'm going to do something a lot of people aren't going to like. I'm going to look at things from CN's point of view.

First and foremost, here's a dirty truth about animation: Licensing revenues is a critical, in fact essential, element of a cartoon producer's revenue. It's as old as Felix The Cat and Mickey Mouse. Animation producers, except for feature film, never make big money from theatrical or broadcasting revenues. Licensing is the lube that greases the wheels. Felix producer and co-creator Pat Sullivan was able to write off his tremendous alcohol bills based on Felix merchandising. It was only when he got too cheap on the production of the cartoons (actually refusing to pay for sound in order to meet his bar tabs) that Felix stopped being the first true 'toon superstar. On the other hand, Uncle Walt's only bad habit was cigarettes. Licensing that giant pile of Mouse merchandise provided the seed money needed to build the Magic Kingdom.

Now one very interesting press release from Cartoon Network, one that I was going to report on this week anyway, noted the network just signed a major licensing deal with Mattel Corp., the largest toy manufacturer in the world. The master toy license agreement covers original CN properties for the 6-11 age group and also carries a first-look option on all newly created original series and programming.

For the record, when an anime, DC or Looney Tunes-related property hits on Cartoon Network, if CN sees any licensing revenue from those shows, it would be nowhere near what they would make from shows like Ben 10 (huge toy line coming), Foster's, Camp Lazlo or Juniper Lee. In fact, one informed source at CN did tell me his company as already making more money from Ben 10 than its #1 show, Naruto. It's all due to licensing. The lion's share of the licensing revenue of Naruto goes to Viz Media (or its Japanese parent company), not Cartoon Network. Likewise, even though
  06-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Let me get this straight. Because they sold horrible Titans/JLU action figures that almost looked like disfigured freaks, and only in small quantities in a few select stores, it's our fault (the toy-buying consumers) than our favorite DC shows were cancelled?

This is the sort of things that makes me hate the modern world in general.

06-22-2006, 05:04 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Thats ironic they claim the JL/JLU toy line was not selling well but yet a interview with Mattel has revealed the toy line is going to go well into 2008 with new additions of figures, even a 1st Comic Convention Exclusive this summer in Solomon Grundy.

Makes sense though that CN wants 100% of the profits like Nick gets developing all product internally but it sucks nonetheless
  06-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
I think with Titans it was definitely a licensing thing. JLU maybe not as much. Considering the # of heroes on the show, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

In JLU Season 1 we lost all the Batman characters and JLU S3 we lost Aquaman and his villains (thanks to the not picked up WB Aquaman pilot).

I also expect WB had a bigger hand in this as well. That's why we'll see the new Legion of Super Heroes cartoon on KidsWB instead of CN. Their network, their profits.