08-01-2006, 11:35 AM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
I am in the process of gathering some Superman comics and saw that there were two different series after the Volume 1 series. The titles are: The Adventures of Superman and Superman v2. Just wanted to know what the difference was between the two series?
  08-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Verified Member

by the way...i will post my Comic DVD list pretty soon. The set is going on 30 dvds for Marvel, DC and Spawn comics.
  08-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,760 posts since May 2005
They are 2 different comics...
  08-01-2006, 11:57 AM

Verified Member

lmao...i know that. But why did they make 2 different series?
  08-01-2006, 09:12 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
ie, crossovers and story arcs from one title to another to make you buy more books, look at Marvels Civil War for example, different stories in different titles and you really don't know what is going on unless you buy ALL the tie ins.
  08-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Allow me to educate our fellow non-comic readers.

Back in 1986, DC Comics decided to re-boot their major franchise heroes (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) as well as most of their line. It was done with the 12 part series, Crisis on Infinite Earths. After that series ended, the "origins" of many heroes had changed. Being their main character, Superman received a 6 issue mini-series reboot from then hot creator John Byrne. This series was called The Man of Steel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man...8comic_book%29

Following that series, a new Superman series was set to be launched, but DC did not want to discontinue the numbering of the old Superman series. It was #423. Without checking, I think Detective Comics was the only other series close to that. However, they wanted to start Superman over to reflect the major change in the character and direction (Ma and Pa Kent alive, Luthor now a businessman, less powerful).

Enter the Adventures of Superman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_Of_Superman

This series "took over" the numbering of the Superman series and a new Superman series was launched as Vol. 2, Issue #1.

This numbering lasted until a few months ago when on the 20 Year Anniversary of Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC launched Infinite Crisis. This once again revamped their entire line, although not as drastically. Issue #649 of Adventures of Superman would be its last. As of #650, the title returned to just Superman. The rebooted Superman title ended with issue #226.

Sadly, I knew all of this (except a few issue numbers) from memory. I'm a comic geek first, cartoons second.
  08-02-2006, 09:50 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
Whats even worse...is I did too!!!!!