Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

09-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
It's clobberin' time -- again!
Production has begun in Vancouver on Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, a sequel to last year's Fantastic Four, scheduled to be in theaters on June 15 next year.
Michael Chiklis talks with fans at press conference in New York

It's the same cast -- Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm/The Thing, Ioan Gruffudd as Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic, Jessica Alba a Sue Storm/Invisible Woman, Chris Evans as Johnny Storm as Human Torch and Julian McMahon as Doctor Doom -- from the first film, which premieres on HBO on Sunday.
And for Chiklis, it's suit time again. Becoming an orange, rocky monster is no day at the beach, but let's hope reports are true that the Thing suit is more comfortable this time.
Last summer Chiklis called wearing the Thing costume "a little like being in the seventh circle of Hell" and even consulted a psychiatrist to help with the claustrophobia it caused.
"It's hot, it's uncomfortable, it's cumbersome," Chiklis said. "But when you see it, it really is extraordinary."
Ben Grimm is an important role for Chiklis, perhaps best known as Vic Mackey from television's The Shield. Not only is it the biggest franchise he's worked on, he's a huge fan of the characters.
"I think among the cast, I was the fan and the most aware of Fantastic Four growing up," he said. "Of course, that makes me the oldest.
"I really, truly was a fan and I think that we're all aware of how rabid the fans are, how aware they are of every nuance and every aspect -- more familiar than we are about it."
Believe it or not, Chiklis has Elektra to thank for a start in getting the role. Or, more specifically, Jennifer Garner, who played Elektra in Daredevil and Elektra.
"I met (producer) Avi Arad at a party," Chiklis said. "Jennifer Garner actually introduced us, and I said, â•¢I have two words for you -- Ben Grimm,' and that was the beginning of it. He called me into his office some months later, and we discussed the possibility of this happening."
The Fantastic Four were movie heroes last summer, helping breaking a 19-week slump at the box office by opening with a better-than-expected $56.0 million. The film finished with $154.7 million.
After many stops and starts -- including a low-budget, never-released film in 1993 -- the FF finally joined Spider-Man and the X-Men as tentpole movie characters.
20th Century Fox -- with its main actors signed for three films -- didn't waste any time going forward with the sequel. Director Tim Story returns for Rise of the Silver Surfer, and, as the title indicates, the sequel features one of the most popular characters introduced in FF lore.
As you would expect, there aren't many details about the sequel yet. Story has been providing sporadic updates on his myspace page, and filming should extend into December.
Suit aside, Chiklis said he was looking forward to more of the Four.
"I think they'll only get bigger and better from here," he said.
In the meantime, you can catch the first film on HBO throughout September and October.
  09-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
This sounds like a good movie. About time Surfer gets his due!