Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

05-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 184 posts since Jun 2005
If you are old enough as I (CP, that's you dear!) to have enjoyed Batman during the original broadcasts (I was 7 years old in 1966!), then you'll probably remember two other superheroes that delighted kids in 1967. Stephen Strimpell starred as Mr. Terrific, a meek mild gas station attendant who took a power pill, created by a government scientist, thus obtaining superhuman strength to fight crime and capture enemies of the good ole USA in time of crisis. Similarly, Captain Nice starred William Daniels, a forensic chemist who developed a formula that gave superhuman abilities. Captain Nice was created by Saturday Night Live writer Buck Henry. I came across all 15 episodes of Captain Nice about 4 years ago, but have not found any episodes of Mr. Terrific except for two episodes broadcast on TVLand, a made for TV movie created by splicing together several episodes, and also the original TV pilot. That is, not until now. An acquaintence of mine came upon 14 of the original 17 Mr. Terrific episodes, and it's like I am in 3rd grade again watching these shows! Woohoo!

Does anybody remember these two shows? There's a clip from Captain Nice on YouTube, and another two clips from Mr. Terrific that I posted on YouTube as well. Enjoy, and relive the moment of days gone by (those of you that were around then!)
  05-31-2007, 01:32 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
I m only 36 lol
  05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cp32

I m only 36 lol
Don't you mean 63? After all they don't call you Grandma for nothing.

jk
  05-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Those sound cool.
I wasn't born until 1969.
  06-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
You found more Mr. Terrific? For real? Way too cool. Are you trading these days, Jay?
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  06-04-2007, 01:37 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 184 posts since Jun 2005
Yeah Deb, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw these eps long thought lost. I'm not doing much trading as of late; I just started my sabbatical at St Jude Children's Research Hospital here in Memphis and I'm keeping postdoc hours! But I WILL turn these Mr. Terrific eps into a disc set. Elvis says Hi!