Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

07-29-2007, 02:35 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
kinda grainy because it is from Comic Con, but looks like it might be pretty good.

http://www.dailymotion.com/ingy489/v...lip_shortfilms
  07-29-2007, 04:36 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
CGI looks good.

not sure why we always need a origin.
who is this intended for?

comic readers already know the 30+ years of the character.
and there is no way to stick 30+ years into a 90 minute movie. and who would want to?

so in the end the origin simply drags the story down.

does anyone here actually care for the origins of spidey, supes, bats, ff, ghost rider etc.
or do you simply want to see a great action movie?
  07-29-2007, 05:11 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
Origins are included under the premise that you are going to "teach" someone who has never ever seen, read, or know anything about comics or their characters about the Marvel, DC, or any other comic universe. I understand how it can be difficult for longtime comic book fans, geeks, etc. to have to put up with so much back story, but I believe it's a necessary excersise. Remember, a comic book company, like any other business is interested in making as much money as possible, and if they can draw in new fans, (young & old) to read, watch, and buy (more of) their products on a regular basis by adding origin stories to their movies, then that's what they're going to do regardless of what veteran comic book readers think.
  07-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
dan_d, sure i understand these ideas the men in suits (accounts) dream up.

but the comics do not sell at all.
films, dvds, posters, toys, games sure.
comics? nope.

so do the people who watch the movies and who might buy the dvds, toys, games etc, care about the origins?
is it the origin that motivated them to buy all the rest?
personally i don't think so.
its probably the CGI or the action that grabbed their attention.

i mean who watched the bond films, then rushed out and bought fleming's books?
and found that the book & film are worlds apart?
besides, was there ever an origin of bond?

anyway, for me, the origin is a waste of time.
simply slows the movie down.
thank god for the fast forward button is all i can say.
  07-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
I don't know, as I said, it all ties in. I do agree that comic sales have plummetted over the last 20-25 years, but that's because those kids who used to religiously buy comics, and actually read them have all grown up. What we have today are a bunch of kids and young adults, (18-25), who were raised with the "fast-food like" mode of thinking, the instant gratification era. They no longer have the attention span to actually sit a read anymore, everything has to be presented to them in an audio or visual format, reading has simply become to burdensome for many in todays world....NFM