Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

08-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
On the Popeye 1933-1938 set there appears to be a trailer for the 1st season of the Smurfs on DVD. I will have to check my copy out when I get back from WWC

http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2007/07/...opeye-dvd.html

It will be interesting to see if this is successful enough to keep it going or if this will be the only one
  08-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Eww... it looks like they're using broadcast masters from Cartoon Network and Boomerang. At least the Aussie volumes went back to film. Many of S1-S2 episodes on tv are washed out and have a nasty blue/cyan tint shift that cannot be repaired by proc amp or software.

If it actually happens, it'll probably stall after a couple of volumes at most. The companies who have the power over this property mishandle everything. NBC shares rights to the last half of the series, so fat chance there.

I can wish and dream, but I also stay grounded in reality.

08-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Well, it made it onto tvshowsondvd.com. However...

1. Notice the artwork says "Season One - Volume One". The Smurfs half-hour episodes sometimes had two stories. So the "19 episodes" wording is misleading. It's only 13 episodes, which is half of the 26-episode season (and the 345 minutes quoted on the package verifies that). I have never understood why people want to split episodes in half. If you cut a CSI episode in half and labeled it Part 1 and Part 2 (half hour each), people would raise bloody hell, especially if you put it out of order.

2. As I said before, the Smurfs trailer on the Popeye DVD uses broadcast masters. You'll notice some of the clips have a cyan or blue tint and/or a brightness problem. The Australian volume releases came from film scans, judging from the high quality and lack of visual flaws. This does not look good for the USA release.