Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
I have a TiVo Series 3 HD DVR and when I want to save something in order to put it on DVD from my PC, I would record it with the "Best Quality" option and then record it direct to DVD. However, recording it direct to DVD takes as long as the length of the recording. I tried using TiVo Desktop to transfer the video directly to my computer but it takes much longer and the file extension is .tivo, which can't be edited, it slows down my computer, and it's usually 1GB or more depending on the length of the recording. I even tried hooking up an external hard drive to the TiVo to copy the video to the hard drive but that doesn't work.

Does anybody know a faster way of transferring video from TiVo to PC and having the file size be the same as recording it direct to DVD without losing any quality or am I going to have to stick with recording video direct to DVD?
  10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Tivo is pretty much a locked system. To get it to DVD easily, you have to re-record to DVD.
  10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/ttg.htm
  10-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
That website refers to TiVoToGo, which isn't available for the TiVo Series 3 HD DVR. There is also another part about unlocking and converting a .tivo file but it takes too long to transfer them to my computer. I think I will stick with recording them direct to DVD. Thanks anyway.
  10-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
TiVoToGo is deprecated, from what I've read and observed. Obsolete service.