Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

08-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,139 posts since Jun 2005
I JUST LIKE TO KNOW, WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF GETTING THIS SYSTEM ?
AND IS IT BETTER THAN GETTING SATELLITE .. OR DO YOU NEED BOTH ?

THANKS
  08-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
It really has nothing to do with satellite except that it records the signal. Think a big hard drive that records the video stream and allows you to play it back at any time. If you do not have SVHS or a DVD Recorder or want to record a group of shows for a later project its excellent, true you run the risk of losing all your stuff just like with any piece of equipment but I have found it invaluable, I stored almost the entire run of Aladdin as well as Hercules on mine and now it currently holds about 1 season of 90210 and Melrose Place

You can get a DVR with digital cable, same thing as TIVO in function (scheduling, recording, playback, cataloging, etc)

For DirectTV and Dish Network they have I think both TIVO units and DVR's, I have digital cable so I am not completely sure about the specifics. Billy, Phillip and Dan all have/had satellite and TIVO or DVR so they would proabbly be the ones to ask
  08-02-2005, 03:02 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
Hi Daj,

I have TIVO and I've had Satellite (DIRECTV), and all I can say is that they're both worth the $$$. The Satellite system make all your Channels DIGITAL, unlike digital cable which is a mix of Digital premium packages and analog basic cable and local channels. Price-wise, I KNOW that you get more "bang for you buck" with sattelite. I used to pay $65.00 TOTAL to have 2 T.V.s hooked up to the dish. My programming package consisted of ALL my local channels, 145+ Sattelite channels, including HBO. Also, if you're a sports fan like me, sattelite is the way to go, there are various "ala carte" style packages to suit most anyone.

By contrast, cable does indeed provide mediocre customer service, *NO* WWE 24/7 VOD service (not available in alot of the country), and their price for virtually the same ($65.00) package with DIRECTV costs $90.00 with cable. The only reason I don't have Sattelite myself is becaue ny landlord won't allow me to put it on the building's roof, and since I'm in a ground floor apt. trees block the signal line needed for the dish...If I could I immediately switch back to Directv.

Now on to TIVO, simply, the GREATEST machine ever created for the T.V. show collector. TIVO allows you to set up a "season pass" of your favorite shows, as well as the ability to adjust/set the video recording quality of said shows. Another "nifty" feature TIVO has is that if you're not home, and have acess to the internet, you can go online and set your TIVO to record a show for you, (it's come in handy for me on more than one ocassion). The only "negative" with the TIVO, is that eventhough units may be able to record at a max of 80-140hrs, recording at these max outs most certainly yeild poor quality recordings. I have a TIVO 140 Hr. unit and here are the settings that it allows one to record at:

Example:

"Best Quality" settings allow you to record at 39hrs 21 min.

"High Quality" (which is what I use) allow you to record at 62hrs 55 min.

"Medium Quality" 82hrs 48min.

"Basic Quality" (the worst setting) gives you the 140hr max, but the quality of the recording suffers.

I know I was long winded but I couldn't be happier with my TIVO enough.

I hope I helped.

Dan D.

08-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
I will be getting a Cable Converter with DVR within a month as a extra storage unit heh

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  08-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Verified Member

THANKS MARK ,... AND SUPER THANKS DAN D. !!!! ... NOT LONG WINDED ... MUCH NEEDED INFO ,.. I KNOW EVEN THE SALES PEOPLE WON'T BE AS HELPFUL WITH THIS TYPE INFO , THANKS AGAIN !!!
  08-02-2005, 07:42 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
You can record two channels at the same time, (I believe this is only available on Directs DVR). You don't have to set the time that your show comes on, just look it up in the guide and select it or add a season pass (setting it for a minute early and a minute late is reccomended, due to station scheduling). You can even have TIVO search programs based on actors, directors, genre. Just make sure you get one with a hard drive big enough for your viewing/recording habits.
  08-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Verified Member

Yeah when you schedule I agree with Battle and make sure you set 2min before and after, I tried doing some based on the start time of the hour and it either cuts the intro or is already into the episode.

On our Motorola DVR we can record and watch at the same time but not yet record 2 shows at the same time. I have duel tuners but I dont think I have received the upgrade from mediacom to utilize it
  08-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
DISH has at least one two channel record DVR - I've been eying it for months. It also receives and records HDTV.

I have two DVRs with my DISH network. The older one holds 35 hours of programming, the other 100 - there are no settings that I can find to change the recording speed. I love it and don't think I can ever go back to recording without it. I'm just now shifting a series from last season (Everwood), and it's as clean today as it was when broadcast. It's also ideal for daily recording, especially when you're hunting a specific episode, since the guide information is recorded with the episode. Love it.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  08-02-2005, 10:28 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 147 posts since Jun 2005
I've had Tivo for a month now and love it. I can't wait until I get some free time to install a bigger HD in it.
  08-03-2005, 04:17 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
The reason why I don't get sat... is because, I'd have to pay for my internet connection seperate (cable) and they raise the price if you don't subscribe with them to there TV service or something of some sort... soo, it'd cost a bit more

comcast sucks!
  08-03-2005, 05:01 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 147 posts since Jun 2005
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by onlyemokid

The reason why I don't get sat... is because, I'd have to pay for my internet connection seperate (cable) and they raise the price if you don't subscribe with them to there TV service or something of some sort... soo, it'd cost a bit more

comcast sucks!
Same with Time Warner Cable.
  08-03-2005, 07:25 AM

Verified Member

THIS WAS SOOO HELPFUL ... I WILL BE CREATING SOME SHOWS SOMETIME THIS YEAR OR BEGINNIG OF NEXT YEAR ... AND WANTED TO GET THE BEST HOOK UP.

YOU GUYS WILL BE SHOCKED ,, HOPEFULLY ..LOL

THANKS AGAIN ,... FOLKS !!!
  08-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I don't understand how the monthly fees or one-time payment comes into the picture. How does that work? It doesnt make any sense. I assume there is some way to either ignore or override that?
  08-03-2005, 08:01 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 124 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to tobal2
The monthly fee has been the reason I won't buy a TIVO, although I do think the system is very nice.

In looking around, it appears that you CAN use the system as a basic DVR without the monthly/one time fees but you lose all of the functionality that makes it so useful...

The DVR units from cable/satellite companies aren't as expensive because you're basically renting the units, but they also charge a monthly fee (DISH wanted another $5-6/month for one when I got their system but I passed on the DVR).

At least that's what I've found. I'm sure folks who actually own one can elaborate on this?
  08-03-2005, 09:03 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I believe $5 is the monthly charge for TIVO as well Ron, my package is $53.53 per month, which includes the 150 channel package, no premium channels, ie; HBO, Cinemax, local channels (free, which DISH charges for), superstaions.

This package is actually cheaper than the similar DISH package I had when I had DISH Network. My DISH package usually ran about $60 a month with NO DVR service, So I actually came out better with DirectTV. Be sure and look for rebates and incentives. I got an aditional $50 rebate with the purchase and 1 year agreement, but be careful about the "FREE" stuff they include, because after the time limit is up on the free stuff, they still bill you monthly. "YOU" have to have it cancelled, which is why I waived all the free stuff they offered. LOL, the operator asked why I wanted to waive all that stuff, I told her I had already been thru that with DISH, that I knew how "FREE" worked.
  08-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Verified Member

I pay $4.95 to rent my HDTV DVR from Mediacom, since I get free regular cable because almost the entire city is owned by Iowa State so under Iowa law they foot the bill we only pay $19.95 for the digital channel package (everything from 100 up) and $4.95 to rent the DVR unit

Its different for each cable company and satelite, not to mention TIVO itself is a seperate company outside something like Comcast
  08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I have the Everything package through DISH, so I don't pay anything extra for my DVR service. My Mom has Comcast analog cable, which we've kept upstairs, and so I was able to piggyback my high-speed internet on that. I honestly can't remember why I chose DISH over DirecTV at the time, but I've been very happy with DISH.

As for a monthly fee for TIVO and the DVRs, it's a subscription to the online guide that links the TIVO and DVRs to the program schedule. Very, very useful for finding stuff and scheduling recording.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  08-05-2005, 06:13 AM

Verified Member

Hi guys and gals,

Here is how the TIVO subscription works (from TIVO website):

How much does TiVo cost?
There are two costs associated with TiVo: 1. The TiVoŽ box. TiVo boxes range in price depending on recording capacity. See our Buy TiVo page for the most up-to-date pricing. 2. The TiVoŽ service subscription. Put the amazing, easy-to-use TiVo service to work for you for just $12.95 a month or a one-time product lifetime fee of $299. o If you have more than one TiVo subscription on the same account, you are eligible for a discounted monthly fee of just $6.95. Terms and conditions apply. There are two costs associated with TiVo:

The TiVoŽ box. TiVo boxes range in price depending on recording capacity. See our Buy TiVo page for the most up-to-date pricing.
The TiVoŽ service subscription. Put the amazing, easy-to-use TiVo service to work for you for just $12.95* a month or a one-time product lifetime fee of $299.
If you have more than one TiVo subscription on the same account, you are eligible for a discounted monthly fee of just $6.95. Terms and conditions apply.

Dan D.
  01-23-2007, 05:28 AM

Verified Member

bumped for informational purposes...
  01-24-2007, 12:00 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
How do you all move your recordings from Tivo over to the computer?