Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

10-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Stats: 5 posts since Aug 2009
I am trying to edit out the commercials from a VHS capture with MPEG Video Wizard. The problem I'm having is after I make the edits and save the file everything after my first edit isn't being burned to DVD. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appriciated.
  10-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Have you tried to export it simply as an MPEG file, instead of using the built-in authoring function? I find Womble to make great MPEG editors, but their video encoding quality (if/when it re-encodes video) and authoring/burning abilities are lousy.

Generally, I suggest editing in an editor, and nothing more.
Authoring in an authoring program, and nothing more.
Burning in a burning program, and nothing more.

For authoring, I suggest TMPGEnc Authoring Works. Link to get it, and guides to use it, at http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...or-tsunami.htm
For burning the authored DVD, I suggest using ImgBurn.
  10-27-2009, 08:59 PM

Yeah, tried that. No luck. I have an ancient version of TMPGenc MPEG Editor and it works fine, but it doesn't have the ability to do fade to black transitions.

Here has been my workflow:
Capture
Edit (TMPGenc MPEG Editor)
Re-encode (Mainconcept MPEG Encoder)
Author (Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6)
Burn (ImgBurn)
  10-27-2009, 09:20 PM

What about trying this workflow, instead?

Capture -- high bitrate MPEG, I'm guessing?
Edit - Womble MPEG Video Wizard, export as MPEG file
Re-encode (Mainconcept MPEG Encoder) -- good software
Author (Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6) -- I'd suggest Ulead DVD Workshop 2 or TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4
Burn (ImgBurn)- Good choice

Are you re-encoding because you've captured your MPEG at a high bitrate?
And maybe you're wanting to really fill up a disc with max compression?
Or you have complex content like wrestling, NASCAR, etc?
That's the only reason I can see for this method.
  10-27-2009, 10:24 PM

I'll give your workflow it a shot. Using a capture card is new to me. Everything I've done before I used a DVD Recorder, but it died. I'm capturing with a Hauppauge PVR-250 maxed out (15000 kbps video and 384 kbps Overkill?). I tried a few smaller bit rates and this just seemed to look better. Maybe it's just the "more is better" type of mindset. Depending on what all I edit out I end up with clips between 15 and 20 minutes long and around 500- 550mb after re encoding. I've used Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6 for several years mainly for the menus and it's a no brainer piece of software. What is it that you like about the TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4? I'll download the trial.
  10-27-2009, 10:29 PM

TAW (like it's predecessor TDA) is just easy to use, and it accepts a wide variety of DVD spec material.
My favorite is actually Ulead DVD Workshop 2 -- only use TAW/TDA for menu-less discs.

If your Ulead DVDMF6 is not re-encoding videos, then you can keep using it.
  11-27-2009, 10:33 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
why dont you just use wombles frameserve option into tmpeg? I am using the older tmpg 2.56. Womble gives the frameserve plugin. In tmpg click option/environmental setting/vfapi plugin. You should see a womble plugin there, just raise up the priority

or

You can also split your clip a second before and after in womble. Now even if you use wombles encoder (for fade effects or what have you) it will only encode the sections with a fade. Therefore womble will only encode a few seconds of your video while just "joining" the rest. In this respect you will notice nothing in terms of quality loss. Just be sure to set womble to maximum in the video quality dept

Works wonders when you need to encode small sections only