Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

04-05-2010, 10:41 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 89 posts since Aug 2007
My 2002 VPR brand XP PC has officially bitten the dust; 2 capacitors blown in motherboard, per Best Buy tech. My main PC is an HP E9120Y, with Windows 7 Home Premium. I have been using my XP PC to capture audio/video to MPG2 files (ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 card, ATI MultiMedia Center 8.8), authorring DVDs (TMPEnc Author) and burning (via 1 of 2 DVD writer drives in PC). I also capture streaming audio from web sites with Sound Forge 9 and make CDs and/or MP3s from the created .wav files.
I'm trying to decide what course to take:
1. Get an XP-loaded PC, into which I can add my DVD burners, ATI card, external drives, various cards, etc., then reload (again!) all my XP software into the root C drive. A personality-devoid MicroCenter sales guy hurriedly showed me one possibility: an IBM ThinkCentre M52 8215 XP PC. Looks OK, but I'm still evaluating it.
2. Upgrade my HP PC's Windows 7 to Professional, so that I can use the Windows XP mode, loading my XP programs onto that portion of the HP PC, to use it for my DVD and CD work. One problem there is that the HP has no video/audio cards with the connections my XP PC's do, but I guess that could be solved with an audio/video cable with a USB connection on the end going to the HP PC. I'm still not sure if my old programs would work, though.
3. Upgrade my DVD and CD hardware and software to Windows 7-compatible. Not sure what would work on PC as is, and what I'd have to add, as far as audio/video card, MMC 8.8-type capturing program, authoring, etc. I know that ImgBurn works fine on Windows 7; God bless 'em; I've contributed $ to them.
As DirecTV movies, documentaries and concerts are slowly but surely piling up on my DVR, time is of the essence, so I really appreciate any and all constructive suggestions.
Russell
KCTexan

PS: I left-clicked the "Search This Forum" button, but nothing happened, so I could not search forum for XP-related articles, before opening a new thread.
  04-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Look to replace the motherboard with another one of the same generation. That's what I'd do. Recent advice on this same issue at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...than-2124.html

Important .... Note that that person knew he CPU, an AMD+ Socket A. I don't remember what yours is. What it an AMD+ or an Intel? You'll need to let me know the CPU speed. Pull the heatsink off the chip on the dead board, if you must, and read what it says.

Get the new board, and just reinstall Windows (I know how much you love that process!) and you're good to go. In some cases, replacing the motherboard with another identical one (or near-identical one) will NOT require a Windows reinstall. That's not common, but possible.

You cannot use that ATI All In Wonder card with Windows 7. Tests by others have failed on this front: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...1064#post11064
I'd avoid Windows 7 before surrendering use of an ATI AIW card!

So option
1. might be okay, maybe not, depends on exact specs on hardware.
2. probably not an option, no. I have a hell of a time getting things to work in Vista, and it just gets worse with Win7.
3. not really an option, no.

Side note...
TVPreservation forum search should be here: http://www.tvpreservation.com/forum/search.php
The link works fine in Firefox and Chrome.
What browser were you using?

..... but I don't think this topic has been covered in recent months anyway.

How do you keep killing these computers, anyway?
Are the cats getting fur balls in there or something?
  04-06-2010, 12:38 AM

Verified Member

Thanks for your advice. One key thing I forgot to mention is that my XP operating system has been tagged by Microsoft as not being valid, so it throws up many roadblocks, such as an extra step to log in and incessant warnings about going legit. This is one reason I really want to buy an XP PC with XP already loaded onto it. The IBM M52 8215 is $229 at Microcenter, so it looks to me that it's like getting a $129 XP program and the PC for $100. I just am so weary of fighting this illegitimate Windows issue. Per many sources I've read, if I get a new motherboard, my 8-year old XP crash recovery disc won't work, as it sees a new motherboard as a new PC, so it seems I'd have to buy a legitimate copy of XP if I keep my VPR PC. I've also been horrified to rediscover that my Epson RX595 won't work now, on the Windows 7 HP, because I had it running through my XP PC, then bridged the XP PC to the HP Windows 7 PC, which worked great, except for the scanner on Windows 7 HP. (I just used the XP PC for that.) For this option, of getting a refurbished PC with XP loaded, you wrote, "might be okay, maybe not, depends on exact specs on hardware." Here's a spec sheet, from the dead (Circuit City...) http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...862&CatId=1888
It's faster than what I have now. I guess a question is: can it accommodate the audio and video card. (Should I get a combo card?) Do you think this or another XP-loaded PC is feasible? Is there a better choice than the IBM? I'm about 3 seconds from taking off tomorrow, taking my XP PC back to MC and telling them that I need an XP-loaded PC that can accommodate everything we both see on the back of my old XP PC.
Thanks again,
Russell
PS: Yeah, I guess I'm breaking everything in sight, but eight long years is darn long for any PC, so I think I got my money's worth. Cleo, The Incredibly Long Cat, is about the only one who wanders through the maze of my legs and the PCs, and even he doesn't stick around too long. They all have ADD...
  04-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Verified Member

Epson RX595 PRINTER. sorry.. This is the one that prints paper AND CDs/DVDs, so it is vital that I get it running again, for all those Night Flight DVDs I offer.
  04-06-2010, 03:17 AM

I doubt that IBM will work, it probably doesn't have an AGP slot.

If your current legally-owned Windows XP copy is being a nuisance and won't reinstall, then try one of those underground community-made XP releases (such as the "Black edition"). Those unofficial community releases don't require activation. It's not fair that you'd have to buy another copy just because your current copy is being a pain in the butt.

I would buy XP separately with a new motherboard, before I'd buy some pre-loaded machine.
  04-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Verified Member

Went to a local store, Hypertech* ,recommended by a friend tech at work. They were both very knowledgeable AND personable/cordial. I went through the whole scenario with them, and we were moving toward your solution, to replace the motherboard and obtain a legit XP OS, but they were concerned that perhaps other portions of the PC may have been damaged, IF the motherboard had been damaged by some sort of power surge/blip. I asked them about compatible PCs, and they found an HP/Compaq D510* for $160, that has both XP Home loaded and and AGP port. Maybe it was the 2 hours of standing there, tired and hungry, but I said "yes," so they're moving the ATI video card to the HP and getting it ready to use, by tomorrow. The PC has only 3 expansion slots, but I think I can get by with those (video card, audio card, 4-port USB 2.0 card), and it does have at least 5 USB ports (counting keyboard and mouse), so hopefully it will work OK. If not, well, I guess I can go to Plan B (your Plan A... :>)

A customer/former owner of store, Chris Reed (sp?) happened to be in store and we had a long discussion about video capturing, which he does a lot of. He says that DirecTV, Dish, etc. are all planning to prohibit capturing video from composite video/audio, by adding something to the signal that will allow me to watch the program on TV but not record it. He says to check AVS forum, Home Theater forum, etc., which I am about to do. He also said something about a graphics card for Windows 7 PCs that WILL allow recording, but in a proprietary file (M2TS or somesuch..). He also said that future DirecTV receivers won't even have composite or S-video outputs; only component and HDMI, so satellite companies can control what's recorded. Totally bizarre and out of left field. He was extremely forthcoming on every question I could muster, so I'm not counting out his statements. Has anyone heard anything similar?
Thx, Russell

*http://www.hypertechcomputer.com/pricelist/P03_2010.pdf
**http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...11349_div.html
  04-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctexan View Post
He says that DirecTV, Dish, etc. are all planning to prohibit capturing video from composite video/audio, by adding something to the signal that will allow me to watch the program on TV but not record it.
Aside from trying to embed Macrovision or a similar copyguard scheme, this is BS. There are a number of laws and other policies that they'd have to fight first. A lot of equipment would just ignore that anyway, things like that require special detection on the part of recording hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctexan View Post
He also said that future DirecTV receivers won't even have composite or S-video outputs; only component and HDMI, so satellite companies can control what's recorded.
I highly doubt this. Most customers ONLY have coax, composite or s-video connections at best -- just look at all the "digital converter box" fiascos. They may as well give their business to DISH or cable with a bow-tie on top, while waiving a white flag. I call BS again.

I see no such discussions at AVSforum. I would suggest this person is confused.
  04-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Verified Member

Yeah, well I go for YOUR view on this one! :>)
I'm about to disinfect, don surgical gloves, and start moving stuff from the old to the new XP PCs. Hypertech already moved the ATI 7500 card, found drivers and got it going. I'm going to move the sound card, USB card, 2 disc burners, then install the 100Gb Maxtor internal hard drive I bought last November to try to get XP going on (moot point now!). I then am going to connect the boot C drive, that I had on old XP PC, to new XP PC, via the little tabletop temporary connectors/USB, then move my program files to Maxtor, and see if I can start them from it. If that doesn't work, I'll get the honor of reloading all my programs from various discs, etc., to the Maxtor for the umpteenth time. Any tips there? (They'll call me out of surgery...) Thx as always
  04-10-2010, 01:53 AM

Verified Member

LS: I really need ATI MM 8.8. Used your previous link you provided, http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...ati-mmc-88.rar , but lo and behold, I'm redirected to http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...onder-392.html , where I see no mention of 8.8. I know there's an explanation.... I could contribute some $$.
I have made slow but solid steps on my "new" XP PC. Loaded Audigy Soundblaster CD for sound and ATI for good ol' TV screen again, but it's MM 7.5. I looked for RAR file I may have downloaded, but to no avail. (However, in that process, I found and properly installed Sound Forge 9.0, so that's a big plus!).
Many thanks.
Weary Russell
  04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
try this site...
hxxp://www.driverslab.com/drivers/Video_Card/Ati/Multimedia_Center_8_8-Windows_98_Me_2000_XP/2025.html

Last edited by lordsmurf; 04-11-2010 at 02:01 AM. Reason: link disabled, that site wants to add SPYWARE crap to your system, and the software it claimed is not always available -- I don't want an active link to that crap site
  04-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Verified Member

Thx. The only download link on that page, that I can find, is one for Driver Updater Pro program. After reading extensively today around the Web (you seem to be omnipresent!), I think I can use MMC 8.7 just fine. Will try your download page from http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...onder-392.html . Thx, russell
  04-11-2010, 02:03 AM

Please don't add that spyware garbage "Driver Updater Pro" to your system.

You have to request versions be added to that page on digitalFAQ, that's all it is. But yes, ATI MMC 8.7 and ATI MMC 9.02 are fine, especially for a 7500 All In Wonder Radeon card. I'd only suggest ATI MMC 8.8 for 9000-series cards, where it came with the card.
  04-11-2010, 02:39 AM

Verified Member

Believe me, I had no intention of downloading Driver Updater Pro. It appears to be one of many websites that have the name of a program one wants to download, but when they click on the download button, the garbage .exe file downloads instead. Poo on that! OK, I'm officially exhausted and heading to bed. Got ATI MMC 8.7 up and running. It wouldn't run for the longest time after I downloaded it; this, after I removed all ATI programs using Windows Remove Programs program. Then, in desperation, I downloaded ATI 6.11 Catalyst program, and 8.7 started right up. PLEASE consider adding a note to your download page that one can't just download 8.7 RAR files, unzip them, etc., and expect them to work. Not all of us realize that the ATI foundation Catalyst files must be there first. Thank you. Also got TMP authoring programs back. They are so incredible. No matter how far back in the past one has purchased programs from them, they still have a record of it, and as long as one has the serial numbers, they unlock, can be downloaded and run. They are da bomb! For tonight's icing on the cake, downloaded ImgBurn and donated $5 to the British genius who invented it. Do you ever talk with him? Well, thanks for everything. haha. I liked to have never gotten into DigitalFaq. Password didn't work. Finally realized I was using my TV Preservation password. Is there a way to synchronize them? Also, I CANNOT find the DigitalFaq page to change my password. If it exists, PLEASE (#2) consider adding some guides to get there. At present, they are extremely well hidden! Ciao.
  04-11-2010, 02:41 AM

Verified Member

Oh, yeah, gotta donate some $$ to digitalfaq real fast.... :>)
  04-11-2010, 04:05 AM

Yes, I have run-ins with LightningUK! from time to time, mostly on the various forums we both frequent. Good guy, good coder, good software, well deserving of your $5 for sure. He made both the now-discontinued DVD Decrypter, as well as the current ImgBurn.

Both of these forums run vBulletin, so simply login and visit your Profile (or UserCP) page. For these two sites, it's
... and then change it how you need/want it.

I'll see what I can do about editing some posts or adding some notes.
  04-11-2010, 11:28 AM

Verified Member

YW, as they abbreviate... Yes, as with yours, I've contributed to LightningUK! several times. I'm a firm believer in supporting those who truly help me in my PC exploits. May be a little amount, but as you well know, if all the lurkers contributed a little amount, it would add up fast. :>) I bookmarked both password change pages. If you want, sometime, I can help you organize your sites so that they're easy to navigate. Not that you aren't able, but I think the creators of sites often are so in the midst of the whole thing that it may be difficult to see the site as outsiders do. (I know, I still haven't fulfilled my promise, made eons ago, to proofread DigitalFaQ!)
So far, MMC 8.7 seems to be working fine. I've been trying to record a 2 1/2 hour movie for 2 days, with no success. The first few tries don't count (using 7.5), but trying again with 8.7. Not 8.7's fault; seems like my MS keeps adding updates and rebooting at will. @#$@^$^!!! Am trying a 1-hr. recording now; then, if that works, will try the movie again. Am going to a modern dance concert in a few minutes. It's City in Motion, whose web site I managed for a few years. www.cityinmotion.org . The current site is a whole new one; they used www.wix.com to make it. Oh well, I did my thing and passed the torch. Later! Russell
  04-12-2010, 08:04 AM

Turn off the BS auto-updated crap in Windows. I never use that mess.
I update manually, when I want, if I want.
  04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthing View Post
try this site...
hxxp://www.driverslab.com/drivers/Video_Card/Ati/Multimedia_Center_8_8-Windows_98_Me_2000_XP/2025.html

oops, sorry about that.
just did a quick google search and didn't fully investigate.

i have slapped myself silly as punishment.

i'll try and not make a similar error in future.
  04-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Verified Member

Well...... slapping yourself is permissible, to silly??? Let's not get extreme.
ATI MM 8.7 seems to working just great; I'm slowly but surely emptying a bunch on recent recordings on my DirecTV DVR.
  07-06-2012, 12:41 AM

Verified Member

Well, I believe the old HP/Compaq PC is a remnant of the past. I don't turn it on at all. The other day, I had trouble on my newer HP W7 PC with the mouse or keyboard not working. Usually, I unscrew the 3 monitor cables from the KVM switcher and replug, and everything's fine (although it was a hassle that I did NOT like). Then, I realized that I don't even need the switcher any more, so out it came (easier said than done...). Now, the monitor, mouse and keyboard are connected straight to the W7 PC. That solved that.

Also, I was recording stereo audio (no video) through my cassette/stereo receiver/RCA switcher/Colossus video card (set to composite mode) and the audio just petered out. I think the RCA switcher doesn't do as well without some video (its little red light doesn't light or is very dim, without video). Also, the Colossus video, via HDMI, was having problems with my satellite input, and I was freaking. Had an idea, and after work tonight, came home and ran composite cable straight from the receiver Tape 2 outputs to my W7 PC's internal sound card, via an adapter, and it's working great!! Plus, my Colossus will not be getting dementia again. I still have the composite inputs to it, in case I record from a VHS/Beta tape, or camcorder, but that includes video, which I think helps it keep its electronic sanity, when going back to HDMI mode (which it's in 99% of the time). All I know is that I'm back to my cassette to CD-ROM recording project, after a 3-month interruption, and I'm very happy!!

Last edited by kctexan; 07-06-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: grammar