Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Although there has been no formal announcement, it appears Verbatim is discontinuing its retail of MCC DVD-R and DVD+R media. MCC = Mitsubishi manufactured discs, one of the best media that can be bought today. These discs won't be on Amazon, Best Buy, OfficeMax, Newegg, etc -- not anymore. It is being replaced by CMC and Ritek discs, under the new "Life Series" or "Value Series" Verbatims. These are NOT the discs you want.

If you still want the good discs, buy some for yourself today. MCC Verbatim media is still out there, if you want it. Luckily, everything is on sale TODAY 4/28, from Amazon and SMS. (See links below.) No guarantees about tomorrow or later, either for prices or "in stock" availability.

Verbatim DVD-R 16x branded: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0009YJXMI
$19.99 per 100-spindle - Free shipping on $25 order

Verbatim DVD+R 16x branded: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0009YJXMS
$24.99 per 100-spindle - Free shipping on $25 order

Verbatim DVD-R 8x inkjet: http://bit.ly/verb8xinksms
$54.99 for two 100-spindles - Free shipping

For those of you in UK, check out Amazon UK, both DVD-R and DVD+R for £17.99 per 100-spindle.
hhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/redirect....creative=19450

I just bought a bunch of blanks for myself, for various personal projects in coming years. I want good media for those project masters, not some CMC/Ritek junk. In the future, MCC media may only be available under higher-priced "Professional" series labels, as happened with TDK and Maxell, before they quit making media entirely.

And yes, I prefer Verbatim Mitsubishi discs over Taiyo Yuden -- the MCC media tends to work better for both burning and playing.

It wouldn't be much fun if you want to record a bunch of TV shows, and you don't have any good discs for your collection!

Hope this helps.
  04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
ls, when i click the UK link (via firefox), it takes me to a "Error 404" page. please re-check the link. ta.
  04-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Link fixed. Thanks for pointing it out. -LS
  04-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
so is it time for us to move to bd-r discs?

link for UK verbatim bd-r: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...m+bd-r&x=0&y=0

20 discs at 2x, 25 GB capacity, for £37.
10 discs at 4x, 25 GB capacity, for £30.
50 discs at 4x, 25 GB capacity, for £152.

the 50 GB capacity ones are horrendously priced at the moment.
clearly it is so, to discourage piracy, just as they did with double layer dvds.

anyway, the question to you is, whether it is time to move onto bd-r discs?

personally, i will wait another few years until 8x bd-r arrives and is reasonably priced.

then i can transfer all the crap i have from dvd onto bd-r and trim the number of discs down. roughly 4 single layer dvds will fit 1 single layer bd-r.
  04-29-2010, 03:47 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
what good authoring programs do bluray? i would buy one if i could do that but would be almost impossible to do trades until everyone moves to bluray.
  04-29-2010, 05:06 AM

No.
Not now, not yet, maybe never.
  04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
ya thats what i thought. then i have no reason to put these old sets to bluray when i cant even make a good menu for it.
  05-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
I just bought some Verbatim discs -Rs from Best Buy. When I checked them I was shocked, they were made in Taiwan, but were the CMC Mag AM3s. Isn't that junk or second rate discs?

Guess I'm 100% back to Taiyo Yuden!
  05-18-2010, 12:06 AM

You must have bought the Value Series or Life Series, instead of the older stock.

CMC is second rate at best, yes. Not archival quality discs, based on most reviews and experiences. A cheap disc that is ironically not always sold at the lowest price.