05-27-2010, 07:19 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
Dish Network vs. DirectTV

I got a coupon in the mail the other day for Dish Network stating that I could get the 120 channel package for 19.99 a month for the first 12 months, then reverts to the usual payments for the next 12 months. The channels listed in the 120 channel package are everything I need in a package. I was just wondering what the pros and cons versus each other are. What are your thoughts on Dish Network?
  05-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
HD or no HD?
  05-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Verified Member

just standard
  05-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Verified Member

I mean is there a difference in picture quality between the two. I don't want to get stuck into a 2 year contract to find out I could have gotten better picture quality over at DirecTV.
  05-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
They're going to look the same. From 2001-2004, I'd have said DirecTV had a better picture quality. This was not because of the signal, but simply because DISH Network used crappy receivers during those years. But now the receivers are fine with either provider. However, I'd have to say DirecTV has been overstuffing transponders for about 6-7 years now (since 2003-2004), so it probably has "crunchier" MPEG quality, more mosquito noise.

If DISH is giving the best deal -- something that doesn't surprise me -- go with them.

My parents have DISH as of last summer, and it looks good to me when I visit. I had them up their package for 1 month so I could watch some baseball games when I visited for about two weeks recently. On their 55" screen, it was clean and clear. They get the HD versions of channels, too, as part of their base package.
  06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I've been a DISH subscriber for 9 years. I've never actually seen DirecTV to compare, as no one in my extended family has it. I've seen FIOS and Comcast to compare, but not DirecTV. Personally, I like DISH. It has its limitations, as does every service. But I've been happy with the consistency of delivery, and I've had good experiences with customer service. Your mileage may vary, but boy, you can't beat that deal.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.