06-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Has anyone seen this? This really blows!

MagnificentMarcus

Posted by Herbert on 06 June 2005 - 08:41 - Source: CDFreaks.com
This isn't a good start into this new week,LIGHTNING UK! used our news submit to let us know the following really bad news..

Hello world,

I"ve got some good news and some bad news.Let’s start with the good.... (tumble weed passes by)Ok, and now onto the bad: DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 is the last version you"ll ever see.We hoped this day would never come, but it has, and I can promise you, nobody is more gutted about it than I am.

What started as a bit of fun, putting a GUI around some existing code, turned into something that I can only describe as ‘part of me’ – yes, I know that’s sad As I"ve recently been made aware (by a letter, hand delivered to my door, last Tuesday), due to some law that was changed back in October 2003, circumventing copy protection isn"t allowed.

Ok so it has taken a while (almost 2 years), but eventually "a certain company" has decided they don"t like what I"m doing (circumventing their protection) and have come at me like a pack of wolves. I"ve no choice but to cease everything to do with DVD Decrypter.I realise this is going to be one of those "that sucks - fight them!" kinda things, but at the end of the day, it"s my life and I"m not about to throw it all away (before it has even really started) attempting to fight a battle I can"t possibly win.

If 321 Studios can"t do it with millions, what chance do I have with £50?! As I"m sure most of you have already noticed, the site has been down for a few days. That surprised me as much as the next person (slight breakdown in communication), or I would have issued this statement on it directly.

So anyway, from this point forward, I"m no longer permitted to provide any sort of assistance with anything that helps people infringe the rights of "a certain company".That means, no more emails, no more forum posts, no PM"s, no nothing! END OF STORY.The domain name will be transferred over to the company by the end of the week (9th June, according to the undertakings I have to sign) so don"t email it thinking "Oh, I"ll just ask LIGHTNING UK! for support on this". You"ll not be getting the intended recipient and could be landing yourself in sh1t!

With 3.5.4.0 being the last version, it makes sense for everyone to disable the "check for new versions" feature, as obviously there won"t be any. Of course what I really mean is that you should all stop using the program out of respect for the company’s rights.

Anyone hosting DVD Decrypter is advised to cease doing so immediately. I"ve the feeling they won"t stop with just me. I"m having to contact anyone I know of that is (at the very least, the "mirror" sites), and tell them to stop. Copies of those emails must also be sent to the solicitors so they can check I"m doing everything I"m supposed to. If I don’t, I die.

It is of course down to the owners of those sites to react how they want to. It"s not my job to force you to do anything you don"t want to, I"m just giving you some friendly advice. Maybe it"s just me, but I see this as a bit of an "end of an era". I realise there are other tools, but there"s no telling how much longer they"ll last, and not only that, mine was the oldest! I"ve met loads of great people over the years and I want to take this opportunity to wish them every success for the future - yes DDBT peeps, that includes you lot! : "(I hope you"ve all enjoyed my contribution to the DVD scene and maybe I"ll see ya around sometime.

LIGHTNING UK!
(Author of the once "Ultimate DVD Ripper", DVD Decrypter

06-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,760 posts since May 2005
If anybody wants the software, it would be best to download the last version before it's gone off the mirrors: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1011845169/1

At any rate, all these retail DVD traders are getting obnoxious anyway. Plus it's not like this was the ONLY rip tool that exists, just the most common one.

I use Decrypter more for ISO read/write than copying retail discs (and thus not needing the decryption side of it).

06-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
lol I am sure another thing will come along, I know the on the Mac we use Mactheripper and DVDBackup, I am sure more will come

At least its not the old days with dvd2avi and tmpg conversions to get dvd stuff off ha ha ha
  06-07-2005, 02:19 AM

I don't know about that Mark. It looks like Sony showed up at his door to make it's message clear. I wonder how long it will be before DVD Shrink creator is facing the same thing.

LS, I use Decryptor because its so fast, but why would you use it to read and write ISO? I've been having a problem with Nero 6 writing the Decryptor file to disc. It will say that it is a invlaid file.
  06-07-2005, 02:20 AM

Nero has it's own ideas about what an ISO. Never use Nero for image writing.
  06-07-2005, 02:22 AM

what do you use to image write? Do you use Decryptor to write with too?
  06-07-2005, 03:55 AM

I use either Prassi, RecordNow or DVD Decrypter. It depends on what it's an image of. For DVD-Video images, DVD Decrypter almost always.
  06-07-2005, 03:15 PM

LS,can you burn an image to a disc with Decryptor or just to your harddrive?
  06-07-2005, 09:46 PM

ISO Read, takes image from disc, puts it on drive
ISO Write, takes image from drive, burns to disc