Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

08-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Just a reminder, heat is typically why tapes get "eaten", why DVD burners fizzle out, and why VCRs and DVD recorders start to act badly or outright die.

This week is my week off. I decided I had enough work this past month. So I've been capturing a bunch of my S-VHS tapes to DVD, and editing and authoring them.

Each day I capture 6-12 hours of video.

Because the equipment gets super hot after about 2 hours, I have a 12" box fan pointed directly at the VCR, TBC, DVD recorder and tv set. It's turned on high, one of those $8 jobs from Walmart.

So far, that's keep the temps down real well, does not allow hot air to accumulate around the machines, and since most of my stuff is metal, it keeps the unit cool on the outside. Airholes get a good breeze across them. And then the DVD recorder fan is pumping out the warm air generated on the inside.

If you do anything for more than about 1-2 hours, consider buying a small fan and keeping the setup cool.

09-01-2005, 05:15 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Yep, couldn't agree more. My office at home get warm with all the equipment running, so even though I have central air in my house, I installed a air conditoner in the window to keep heat down as much as possible. It gets rather nice and cool in my office now, much like a computer room
  09-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I had my father in law build me 2 fans into my entertainment center for the same reason
  09-01-2005, 08:15 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
I also keep a fan constantly blowing over all of my equipment. Marcus, on the other hand, JUST BLOWS!!!
  09-02-2005, 12:12 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
You know Tek, you and Marcus sure make reading posts alot of fun!!!!!! Keep up the good work!