Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

09-06-2005, 04:51 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, just wondered if i had one of those large dish satellite systems could i pick up channels like sun tv in canada and international channels from other countries like australia. let me know. any and all info appreciated. thanks
  09-06-2005, 05:07 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Australia? No.

Canada? Probably not.
Encryption would prevent it. And non-Canadians cannot buy it.

09-06-2005, 05:18 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 124 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to tobal2
Encryption, as well as the orbit of the satellites would prevent that from happening. Unless you got extremely lucky and a company was wasting bandwith to mirror content that people weren't even supposed to see anyway

Back in the "old days" you could pick up tons of different feeds with the traditional systems. From what I've read lately it just looks to be a variation on the smaller DBS systems now (Dish, Direct, etc.)
  09-06-2005, 07:15 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I was thinking the same thing when we had ours, was wanting to get japanese anime broadcasts in Japan, but don't think its possible due to satellite alignment and as Ron said encryption. However we were able to pick up fast feeds from certain channels, fast feeds are shows that usually show one week prior to being shown in their scheduled timeslots.