Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

05-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
Sounds like a lot of trouble. Say what you want but I'm going to stick with DVDWS2.
  05-28-2012, 01:49 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigk181 View Post
Sounds like a lot of trouble. Say what you want but I'm going to stick with DVDWS2.
Then you can continue to burn non compliant dvd discs. As LS mentioned (and by my own experience when I had dvd WS burn dual layers for me--once) it does not do it the proper method it should and it is not burning within dvd standard. Single disc sometimes gave issue too.

it is not really hard to have UDVDWS2 author you the two folders and then just open imgburn and drag them into it and hit the burn button. If a dual layer is your concern, you do the same but right before it burns, imgburn gives you a pop up window showing you various spots on your dvd of where you can choose to put the layer break and rates them from best to fair. Once done it burns your COMPLIANT dual later disc--Done

Ulead does not even input a layer break
  06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Verified Member

OK, so I'm trying it your way. I want to burn a compliant DL DVD. I burned the DVD folders and now I'm using ImgBurn to burn the DVD folders. I'm at the create layer break position screen and since I'm not a tech guru, I don't know what to select. They are all rated excellent. What am I supposed to do?
  06-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
If this is an "episode disc", then pick the cell that is between episodes.

For a "movie disc", pick the chapter mark (cell) that is not during any peak action or dialogue.
Furthermore, when authoring, set a chapter mark near the 4GB mark that is purposely during "nothing" on-screen or in audio.
You always plan for the layer break on DL/DVD9 projects.

Post an image (attach to forum), and I'll tell you which is best, assuming this is an episode disc.
  06-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Verified Member

and if you are still unsure-- double clicking any of those spots in the imgburn popup window will bring up a short video preview showing you exactly where in your film(or whatever0 the layer break would go.

IMGBURN will show you multiple spots of where it can go

Basically it is showing you those multiple spots in turn giving you a few options of where you can put the layer break. Sometimes you may only have one and that it is rated as "fair", other times you can have quite a few. Depends on disc and design and how many chapters you put in.

you only pick one out of what is offered

** sometimes imgburn will also show you something like vts-whatever.IFO or .BUP as spots for a layer break. Putting them there will make it appear seamless.
  06-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Verified Member

This DL DVD will contain 89 videos that I downloaded from YouTube.

I tried uploading the pic to my TVP album but that didn't work, so I had to attach it directly to this post.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImgBurn.jpg (92.4 KB, 190 views)
  06-24-2012, 03:57 PM

I'll assume it's 89 separate videos, not something compiled into a single "movie".
If so, 1320876 is where I'd put it. Less padding is better.

@Tranzor: Agree?
  06-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I'll assume it's 89 separate videos, not something compiled into a single "movie".
If so, 1320876 is where I'd put it. Less padding is better.

@Tranzor: Agree?
Yes I would. To be honest even when the layer break is poor it really depends on your player as to how much "disruption" you may get when it switches layers, but less padding the better

ohh and while on this subject (and this is for everyone) YOU CANNOT have a compliant dual layer disc be over the standard 4.37 gigs and have your main feature film (which is the bulk of the disc) with ONE chapter only and think it will burn properly. Crap software like Nero and Ulead may allow it, but imgburn will not burn it. I have encountered such a thing a few times before and had to get in touch with the disc authors on how to fix it properly. Likewise NEVER try to have your Dual layer disc 99% full, if anything try to keep it roughly 90-95% but never max it more than that. You need space for the layerbreak padding and the more room the disc has the more options it gives you for layer break additions

I should have mentioned that if you insist on having one chapter only (whatever your reasoning may be on that) then at least have like 20-30 cell breaks within the film since they can be used for potential layer breaks as well (cells are not like chapters, they will not show up on your players display and your feature will still play seamlessly)

Last edited by Tranzor; 06-24-2012 at 04:26 PM.
  06-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Verified Member

Yes, it's 89 separate videos. There is a "Play All" option but that's beside the point.

So you're saying that when I use ImgBurn in the future, I should put the layer break at the first spot with the least amount of padding? I don't know anything about layer breaks, so even your explanation is gibberish to me.

Why does burning create less VOB files than there are videos. There are 89 separate videos but there are only 8 VOB files. One of which is the menu. There are also 3 IFO files and 3 BUP files. I've also noticed that the audio folder is always empty on any DVD that is made. If it's always empty, what's the point of creating it?
  06-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
So you're saying that when I use ImgBurn in the future, I should put the layer break at the first spot with the least amount of padding?
No. This is a decision that must be weighted on several factors.

If you put a layer break in the middle of a video, it may pause, skip, or be missing when you watch it. This is a discrepancy between the layer break, the media, and the player. Therefore, it's best to put layer breaks between assets, or (for long movies) during "worthless" parts of a video.

When multiple locations will work, choose the one with the lowest padding amount.

Quote:
Why does burning create less VOB files than there are videos.
VOB files are unrelated to the number of videos. When you author content, it's placed inside of DVD-Video container files (VOB = "video objects", aka "video assets"). When the specs of sequential videos match, they're placed into the same container. Framerate and resolution are the primary specs that are used to determine matching.

Quote:
One of which is the menu.
Menus should be in a separate VTS, and almost always are.

Quote:
There are also 3 IFO files and 3 BUP files.
There is one IFO for each VTS. VTS = "video title set". The first number of a VOB file is the VTS, and the second number is the part. The disc can have no more than 99 VTS, and each VTS can be no more than 9 parts (9GB max, with each part being 0.99GB).

Each IFO has a backup (BUP), and should be gapped into another sector of the disc. It's not much use to have a backup if the backup and original are both in the same spot on the disc. Hence the need for gapping. Sadly, most burning programs (including Nero, DVDWS2, and others) completely screwed this up. ImgBurn does it correctly.

Quote:
I've also noticed that the audio folder is always empty on any DVD that is made. If it's always empty, what's the point of creating it?
Because it's part of the DVD-Video spec. Some players will eject a disc as bad if the AUDIO_TS folder is missing, because it's expected.
DVD players check for three key things:
(1) UDF mode data,
(2) DVD-Video authored assets, including the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and
(3) region (0-8) and format (PAL/NTSC) data.
If the first two are present, and the third is allowed, the disc starts to play.

A "DVD player" is actually a "DVD-Video player".

I realize some of this looks like jabberwocky, but it should be understood if you want to burn fully compliant DVD-Video discs.

Does that explain it easier.
  06-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Verified Member

How about this: Is there a way to set up ImgBurn so that it will automatically detect the best place for a layer break? That would make it easier for people like me who don't know much about this technical stuff. My Associates degree includes a minor in computer support, so I know a little more than the average computer user. Except when it comes to things like this.
  06-24-2012, 11:04 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
How about this: Is there a way to set up ImgBurn so that it will automatically detect the best place for a layer break? That would make it easier for people like me who don't know much about this technical stuff. My Associates degree includes a minor in computer support, so I know a little more than the average computer user. Except when it comes to things like this.

Doesn't look like that will ever happen, read below:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=14624
  06-25-2012, 01:52 AM

It's just a terrible idea. Some things should not be automated, and this is one of them.
  06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Verified Member

I did what you said and an error message showed up. I clicked continue and got another error message.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImgBurn Error 1.jpg (16.8 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg ImgBurn Error 2.jpg (39.3 KB, 161 views)
  06-25-2012, 04:09 PM

That's a drive/disc error, unrelated to layer breaks. Are these Verbatim DVD+R DL blanks?
Since that's an older NEC drive (same as my Pioneer, in fact), you'd want the 2.4x-6x discs, not the 8x discs.
  06-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Verified Member

Yes, they are 8x Verbatim DVD+R DL blanks. DL DVDs are kinda expensive and I don't have a lot of money, so it's not like I can just go out and buy different ones. Maybe if I try burning it at a slower speed.
  06-26-2012, 11:04 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
Yes, they are 8x Verbatim DVD+R DL blanks. DL DVDs are kinda expensive and I don't have a lot of money, so it's not like I can just go out and buy different ones. Maybe if I try burning it at a slower speed.
Even with a faster burner that can support the higher speed disc, I never burn higher than 4x