Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

01-16-2023, 10:54 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 64 posts since Nov 2009
I have only recently started to use closed captioning and have run into a problem. For years, I have recorded sports, movies, series, whatever onto a DVD recorder/player with a hard drive and from there onto DVDs. I just discovered that even though the program I recorded has closed captions, they do not appear when I play the DVDs. If I play the programs from the DirecTV drive where I recorded them originally, the CC works fine; when I record that same show onto DVD, it plays perfectly EXCEPT no CC.

Anyone have an idea what, if anything, I can do to get the captions to play from the DVD? We really could use 'em.

Thanks for any advice.
  01-18-2023, 10:47 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
DVD supports subtitles, not CC.

The CC can exist in MPEG, which is the basis for DVD. But the CC is ignored or stripped out during most encoding or authoring. There are ways to do it, but it's not standard. And there are ways to extract the CC to subtitles, but I don't remember the software or methods required for it.