Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

06-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
I never used to be that much of a hard *** on media received, but that will be changing for all of my future trades.

I believe the media up front before a trade will be my new rule of thumb. Im tired of spending funds I do not have (quite literally) to get good blank media for myself (and for trades) and getting usually very inferior discs in return (which most of the time would end in a re-burn, whenever I have the time to get around to it). On top of the fact that I send out slim cases/jewel cases and get home made paper sleeves ( I mean like regular writing paper without the lines) or 4 dvds in one sleeve, etc (although the general retail made paper sleeve is ok by me as long as its one sleeve for one disc, not 4).
  06-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Robot, I hear ya! I've received the homemade paper sleeves to. I always send my trades in commercially made paper sleeves Robot. I sure wouldn't send slim disc cases. They get broken too easy. Also, you can get them for about $3.00 per 100pk when you order discs from www.supermediastore.com. Sometimes they throw them in with your purchase.

You know what is funny? I made an example of my trade with Greenie. It seems that he likes Prodisc, and that is what he has his masters on and probably will send out his trade. I could have just sent him my masters! Life is like that sometimes.
  06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Jenstewart makes good homemade paper sleeves. But she's the only one I've seen to date that did a good job on it. It's not like they were hard either.

Personally, I use the retail ones that cost $4 per 100.

06-15-2006, 03:18 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
2.99 for 200 pack walmart :P
  06-15-2006, 10:03 AM

Verified Member

I saw how cheap the retail sleeves were at an FYE (who is usually over priced
on everything else, though very cheap also on their 50 pack slim cases, sometimes going for 5.99). Perhaps I will just start keeping the slims for myself and sending out the retail paper, hmmm
  06-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
I just got a bunch of discs in those plastic sleeves. Someone said those were bad for discs.
  06-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Clear plastic sleeves are bad, they cause rub marks and scratches on the dye layer side of optical media. Worst thing ever made, don't use them.
  06-23-2006, 04:02 AM

Verified Member

agreed on that LS. My ex-girl friend had all of her cds in a case with the typical plastic sleeves. She mentioned they no longer played so I took a look at them. Whatever chemical was in the plastic itself "seeped through" the data dye on her cds leaving all sorts of odd marks and a case full of original discs coasters