Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
I must say after several trades with new and some old traders on this forum that we are starting to get lax in the quality of discs that we are sending trades out on. I just received a 10 disc trade from a new trader that consisted of five different brands, four of the five were classified as below sub-par media. The excuse was that they were originals. I find this type of behavior and lack of logic insulting!

Nothing ticks me off more then to send out a trade on good discs (TY, Verbatim) and get back one that I have to reburn because of fear of them going bad. Which by the way on this specific trade two of the discs wouldn't burn.

There is no excuse for this with Taiyo Yuden discs now cheaper than any special ran by the store chains. Check out www.supermediastore.com for great discs or if you don't know about the quality of your discs look it up on http://www.nomorecoasters.com. From now on I'll only accept TY, Verbatim on trades unless otherwise agreed to. Even Tekken is using Taiyo Yuden discs and he is CHEAP!
  06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
He can buy online lol Some of us still lack a credit card lmao!

Most of the time. I buy maxell, Verbatins, Sony, Imation, if Im on really tight budget at the moment. I ll get nexxtech. Since Circuit city , Kmart, & Walmart are walking distance for me.

:P lol

AS far as originals.. Well, that's a two way street. If you originally got those so called crap media from a respected trader to begin with lol. You pass it on to another "Respected trader."

They get upset. Who is really to the cheapass here lol . The newbie who sent good media in the original trade.
Or the Vet who sent the newbie Khypermedia dvds crammed 3 in one sleeve . See .. Didnt think of that one did ya lol :P

06-12-2006, 12:29 PM

CP, what the Hell are you talking about?? You can use Paypal with all online sellers recommended and the prices are as cheap as any retail store sale unless it Imation/ Nexxtech garbage. I did say Verbatim. Sony/Maxell made in Japan are good too! I would accept Ritek! Imation/Nexxtech discs are crap.

I don't know why you had to mention the last part, why would I have to think of that situation. I've never done it. I'm just not going to accept trades unless I know the type of discs I'm going to get before hand from now on. I'm tired on having to burn my trades and then hope to reburn the trade I get.
  06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Gramma of CPS

I say this because ... It happened with me a loong time ago .

I got Khypermedia dsc on a trade. I sent the original to someone else.
I got bored with original set. The other person was ticked off. He got kyhpermedia. Well, figured if a vet considered those good enough to send me. Should be good enought for another

06-12-2006, 01:28 PM

So passing crap on is a good thing. Two wrongs still don't make a right.
  06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
We do have standards set up on this board, if someone is passing around bad media you need to call them on it and if it continues or the person cops an attitude then they need to be shown the rules.

I use multiple brands during trades but as long as they are good media it should not matter if its 5 Verbatim discs and 5 TY discs for example, but I agree if its a mixture of crap then crap begets crap and you are screwed.

What did the person say when confronted with this? Do they even know?

Your complaint is valid but if its becoming a widespread thing then alluding to a problem helps nobody and we need to know.

Buying cheap media (no name brands, historically bad media) is just stupid, regular media is low priced and if anything you will save only cents on the $1 in most cases
  06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Gramma of CPS

I ve just been Bipped sla[pped lol Hey, I think i liked it too !!!
  06-12-2006, 05:21 PM

I believe he will replace the bad discs, but it really sent me over the edge when there are five or six different manufacture codes on a total of 10 discs. Then using the excuse that he sent me the originals just didn't cut it.

I don't know if CP was trying to insinuate it was I who had sent her a trade on Kypermedia or not. It could have very well been when I first started traded. That was over five years ago and things have changed considerably since then. I hadn't been trading four months till I moved everything over to Prodisc S03, or TY after getting lamblasted from some experienced traders for sending crap.

This particular trader has been on this site for over a year. New traders have some definite advatages over those of us who started five or six years ago progressing from tape, to CDs to DVDs.
  06-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Gramma of CPS

No marcus. We have never traded. I transfered Invisible MAN sent along copies to you for greg. That's about it .

06-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I usally tell the trader I am trading, what I have on hand.
And let them decide if it is good enough
As even quality media to me, might not be to them
I have sevearl times gone to wal___t and gottne thier choice of media.
I do admit sometimes I put 2 discs per sleeve, but lately I have stemmed away from that.
I have also learned to use cardboard to back discs, when sending now- and little tips liek that.

As far as supermeida store, absolutely correct, I order by CC, but my sister orders by paypal with her checking account.
They are a great site.

I'm sorry you were frustrated in your last trade Marcus, hopefully its a lesson learned to them as well-
I know I read these threars in hopes ot not make the same mistakes others have.
Although I am sure I make/made my share ...
But each time I learn a little more.

06-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I arrange media questions up front unless I trust the person. Even then, I often still ask.

I've been using MCC and TY exclusively for many months now, $15 per 50-pack on sale most of the time. Last time, I have a $10 off $50 coupon at OfficeMax, so I got 4 spindles (200 discs of MCC DVD+R, good stuff!) for $50.

06-13-2006, 03:02 AM

Savage, this situation didn't involve our trades just in case you might think I was referring to you.

LS, is right you can always find Verbatim on sale somewhere. I'm still not convinced they are as good as TY, but they do burn nicely. It was Tobal who set me straight on the type of media I should be using. Does anyone remember the big problem we all used to have burning- the notorious cyclic redundancy error. It has all but vanished thanks to the upgrading of media we use. Frankly, I'm about ready to upgrade all my masters to Yuden discs (Taiyo Yuden) +R discs. I sincerely believe they are the best discs available today.

Sorry guys to be venting like I have, I might have expected this these type of discs in a trade off of someone from sitcom or elsewhere but not CPS.

It is hard to believe I'm approaching a collection of over four thousand discs. I have 18 file drawers full of discs stored in slim disc cases and am making ready another two file drawers. GEEZ, dang Tekken and Tobal they got me started!
  06-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Gramma of CPS

Okay , I got some sense slapped into me last night . I can still taste it too I took a beatin but... oh well.

I returned what were once 100 blanks. Exchanged them for 2 25 pack of TDK s.

TDK 25 pack on sale 7.99 Now. Im down to 50 dang , I didnt even get to trade the other half
What I do for you people ... Sheese...

06-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Verified Member

Ha ha ha CP you did not need to return them. My rule is if you are going to use less than good discs as long as you honestly tell the person and make sure you offer any replacements all should be OK.

I mean you can check each burn to verify it is OK, so even if you use crap at least checking it will show if there are bad blocks.

What I was getting it is some people say that the good media rule is garbage and not needed because they will use what they want.....THOSE users dont belong here

For instance I use Pioneer (there is NO media on earth better than Pioneer and it is no longer made) and Verbatim for my masters, TDK/Fuji/Sony/Maxell for my copies, and CompUSA for CP ha ha ha (j/k)

I have used cheap media I was given on occasion but always its for "free" stuff so if it works it works, if it does not work well then get over yourself it was free
  06-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Gramma of CPS

You re laughing your *** off . I know it

Compusa For Cp ?? Well, I can always re burn them to TDK

Anyways, I ll take a loss to save a headache

Not the end of the world. Just a hobby

What a lousy day this has been

You ' re a funny ,funny, man mark

06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
Hmm, I ended up revising my list of pilots over on Sitcoms to speak to brand since I just completed a trade with a guy who sent me Staples brand - this after a huge brouhaha on Sitcoms over that specific brand. When I told him I'd be reburning his disc to an acceptable brand and if we traded again I'd expect Verbatim, Maxell or TY, he replied, "I didn't know you were actually going to keep the disc, I thought you'd re-author it."

Things that make you go, "Huh?" And then, "No, thanks."

I've had to reburn some masters because the discs have become cloudy, but I honestly haven't noticed that happen yet with any of the CompUSA discs still in my collection. I used to trade with that brand because it worked for more of the folks I traded with than other, more expensive brands. But I have Seen the Light, and now I deal in either TY or Verbatim, especially now that Maxell seems to be mostly Taiwanese in origin. :<
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  06-13-2006, 01:31 PM

If Sony, Maxell, or Fiju are made in Japan buy them either -R or +R, otherwise pass. I don't know why anyone would buy store brand when you can get TY 200 value pk for $53.99, or 200 pk with 200 envelops of -R premium 8X Taiyo Yuden disc for $63.99 with free shipping from www.supermediastore.com. It is just pure laziness that anyone in the U.S.A. uses anything else who trades on a regular basis.
  06-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Verified Member

Marcus some of us like myself are unemployed or earn low wages meaning we get small groups of media at a time (hence why I tend to by $15 50 packs) and need the media for various projects or trades

I can understand if I was a big time trader constantly getting into things to have a lot of media on hand but I am a set creator so essentially I need enough discs to make my set and maybe a few copies, I have 60 DVD-RW's so that removes the need to have burnables for source discs and most of my sets are 4-9 discs so I can usually get 10 copies of a set out of 1 spindle.

Just saying to the store brand comment, but I can see your point if you are a heavy trader or a newbie who is definitly copying more than 50 discs like most newbies do. Doesnt Supermediastore take check/money order as well?

Oh well, like i said if it becomes a problem and you cant get it rectified then you need to let people know so we can put a stop to it, bad media is a issue that should have went away a long time ago.
  06-14-2006, 04:00 AM

Mark, I still feel it would be cost effective to buy your discs online from supermediastore. I just checked and they have a 100pk of TY 4X-R discs with free shipping for $29.95. That beats any deal you could get from any store chain except for sales on crap media. If you have a checking account you can set up a Paypal account.

A prime example of the way I trade is a trade I have going on with Greenie. When I pulled out what he wanted I saw that my set was on Prodisc. I could have burned myself a set on my prefered discs and sent him my set on Prodisc. Instead I did burn myself a new set on Sony (Yuden- I really love these) discs and burned him a set on TY. Why pass on a questionable set.

Anyway Mark, good luck on the job hunt!
  06-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
When it comes to questionable quality "extra originals", I ask permission first, or let that be known it's the only way it'll arrive. Usually I would recopy the set to good disc for myself, and the trader. Then I'd give away the original for free to somebody else.