Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

07-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Does anybody know of a good free program to covert mvk files to DVD?

Thanks yall.
  07-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
An MKV file is a container, not a format. Use YAMB do transfer the MPEG-4 video into an AVI container (no conversion, just transfer the container) so you can work with it. Use YAMB again to transfer the audio into it's own audio file (MP3, AC3, OGG, whatever). YAMB is free. It's sort of like demuxing an MPEG file. Then take that audio and AVI video and dump into your favorite MPEG encoder, like TMPGEnc.

Really easy.

You have to do the same thing with H.264 (AVC) and self-contained MP4 (MPEG-4) files these days. This is all next-gen video, an extended form of MPEG-2 and XVID sort of mushed together.