Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

12-07-2006, 01:20 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 222 posts since Jun 2005
I have an extra 320gb drive here - and I wanted to know from some of the more tech savvy people if it would be better to archive some material to the drive and then pull it for long term storage or burn the information to disks. It seems that the hard drive would be better and take up less space - the hard drive is new. What do you think?
  12-07-2006, 03:01 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 87 posts since Jun 2006
I'd go the HD route. I'd like to back up my documents on a disc, but if they were to get scratched, then bye bye data.
  12-07-2006, 08:08 AM

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
I've broken down and just slowly backed up EVERYTHING I have from multiple 300GB Harddrives to some verbatim disks, and just putting them in sleeves, and placing them in a plastic container and storing them.. Alot of work, but after alot of missing things and crashes, its worth it
  12-07-2006, 09:12 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
DO BOTH!!!! HDS are less reliable then a burned format. I learned the hardway of not archiving important data to disc, when the dang HD died without ANY previous failure or otherwise dying notice (thanks to the Acronis software and 2 days worth of work I was able ot recover 99.9% of what was on it).

SO play it safe, DO BOTH. And if that is not an option, trust burned media more then a HDD. A scratch you can repair. But the drive dying for whatever unforseen reason could leave you out in the cold with nothing

I do follow you with a time issue though. I currently have an external 300gig HDD and its more then half filled with a complete US psx game collection. I am dreading burning this to disc, still it must be done
  12-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Stats: 222 posts since Jun 2005
i'll burn it to disk for you if you let me make a copy for myself
  12-07-2006, 10:36 AM

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
I have 20 DVDRs burned with the PSX collection, still waiting for a couple more letters, and i'm finished LoL still have some to burn to DVDR from other hdds.
  12-10-2006, 12:34 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
so far the projected size for the US collection is 378 gigs. the Torrent for the B's just went up. WOOO. In a seperate post all together and not hijacking this one anymore, once I get this collection underway, will make an off topic post. A complete JAP and PAL PSX collectiopns are underway now as well (i contributed to the jap set)