Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

01-08-2007, 04:19 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 234 posts since Jun 2005
Anyone know how these DVD players claiming to upgrade the DVD quality to High Definition work? I don't understand how you can have a non-HD source like a regular DVD and get HD quality picture on the screen.
Thanks.
  01-08-2007, 05:08 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Are you talking about the newer ones with HDMI that upscale the image?

If I remember correctly it is upscaling the image to the lowest end of HD, not the full 1080i or 1080p that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray do.

From what I have seen the upscale is pretty good (meaning it will look good and sharp on a HD set instead of soft looking), but it will never be "real" High Definition unless its HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

There is not "much" difference but if you are getting a new DVD player AND you have an HD set anyway it does not hurt
  01-08-2007, 05:34 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
If it uses Faroujda based upscaling methods, then yes, it will look really nice. It's hard to visually discern upscaled DVD from HD, using good upscaling.