Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

07-12-2005, 09:17 AM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
I was trying to copy some of my DVDs today and I encountered a problem. It would read about 17% of the dvd and then just freeze. Next a warning popped up and it said "Error Reading Drive H, Cyclic Redundancy Check" The DVD doesn't seem to have any major scratches, but it must have enough to have this warning pop up. I also tried numerous DVD drives and still get the same error.

I wanted to know if there is any way to still copy this DVD?

Raman
  07-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Try another drive.
Does it play in the DVD player?
  07-12-2005, 09:44 AM

Verified Member

The DVD plays in the DVD player with no problem. And I also tried 4 different DVD drives in my computers. I think the way it was burned the first time has something to do with it.

Raman
  07-12-2005, 10:05 AM

Probably just your drives.
  07-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
It could be bad blocks, run the Nero scan on it to see for sure. LS we have a member here who you know well that is infamous for this problem

Try ISOBuster and extract the dvd, it will take a while but it "should" read, if it cant then its probably hosed, thats sometimes the only way to fix a certain members discs when this same problem appears, learned that tip from Phillip

I think AOA ran into this problem as well, usually the PC can read it but the standalone regular DVD player has issues, I have seen though especially using the Apex and Cyberhome brands that it can read problem discs where the PC will choke
  07-12-2005, 11:59 AM

If it's one of those garbage Bulkpaq discs, you're probably stuck. Those discs fall outside the DVD spec in terms of the acceptable quality values. That's what happens when you buy "unknown" junk that was made in eastern Europe or mainland Asia (China,Hong Kong).

Your player cannot read it either, but a DVD player is not as "exacting" as a DVD-ROM, which has to read all the bits. Players skip bits and kick in error correction, which may or may not work (blocks, noise).

Is it one of those discs?
We're going to start banning people that use that garbage.

07-12-2005, 06:42 PM

Verified Member

No its a RiData DVD disk.
  07-13-2005, 11:34 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
I have had a problem with 2 people, with impossible to copy media..... 1, was because it was their "masters" they passed on to me.. assuming they couldn't copy em either... the other, I have had a hell of a time with.. ugh