Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

12-04-2007, 10:27 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 269 posts since Jun 2005
Hi guys...long time no chat...hope everyone is doing well...

I'm hoping you can lend some expertise to the following problem.

I have digital cable and have tried to record some movies as of late and have found them to be copy-once protected with DTCP (Digital Transmission Copy Protection) I believe. I'm hoping to transfer them from my JVC DR-MH30 to DVD, but it won't let me.

To overcome this small obstacle, I've recorded from the JVC DR-MH30 to my computer using the HuffyUV CODEC and, of course, there are now several 2G segments that make up the entire movie.

My hope is to simply find a way to load up all the segments and seemlessly play them back through my ATI TV Out capability, which will allow me to record the output with my JVC DR-HM30 and transfer to DVD. I'm hoping you can help me understand how to do this.

If this is not the smartest way to do it, I have Procoder 2 and can encode with it, but I'm not very good with it yet. I've played around with it, but my results have been less than acceptable. HuffyUV preserved the quality exceptionally well and I'd hate to lose all that by re-encoding with Procoder if I don't need to.

Look forward to hearing back when you all have time.

All the best!
  12-05-2007, 05:40 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Procoder is professional quality. I have MainConcept 1.5 too, which is a bit easier to use and does look a bit better than PC2 does.

I'll send you some e-mails and write more info when I get more time (next week). If you don't hear back by next Wed., I forget. Don't hesitate to remind me. PM a link with this post at that time.

12-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Verified Member

Many thanks, LS!

12-07-2007, 08:45 PM

Here you go.
Use the VLC Media Player to watch it.
It's an XVID video guide, 4MB in size, about 2 minutes long.
I opened my AVS file used in the recently-added guide, but an AVI would ideally be the same situation.

http://www.tvpreservation.com/videos...r2settings.avi

Right-click and save to your computer, don't try to watch from the server, it won't work well and would slow up CPS.

12-16-2007, 12:19 AM

Verified Member

LS...many Thanks!

I set Procoder as instructed. Video looks real good. Seems, however, to be a bit more jumpy on pans than the original AVI captures. Are there some settings I can play with concerning that?

Again, many thanks!
  12-16-2007, 12:33 AM

Jumping is almost always an issue with interlace, specifically the SOURCE and OUTPUT field orders not matching the source, and not being set the same in both places in Procoder. What is your source, what is the source settings being read as, and what did you set the output to?

12-16-2007, 06:02 AM

Verified Member

Source is Huffy avi, 640x480, interlaced, upper/top and target is the MPEG settings (352x480,interlaced, upper/top, VBR 2-pass, etc.) you showed me.

Thoughts?
  12-16-2007, 06:11 AM

The framerates all match, too?
Are you watching these on a tv set, when you say it's jerky?
  12-16-2007, 07:26 AM

Verified Member

Frame rates match too...I'm watching them on the computer...I'll try and burn one and watch it on the TV to see what happens. More to come...
  12-16-2007, 07:41 AM

Sometimes the computer's CPU just doesn't work as well as a hardware decoder (as found in a DVD player). It might be nothing more than that. Hope so, actually, because that's the easiest solution.

12-22-2007, 07:46 AM

Verified Member

That's for sure...still haven't burned it yet...still need to get some newly purchased software installed. By the by...did you see my post to you about Visionaries? Let me know if you're interested.