Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

06-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
I am not sure if this could go here or should be in off topic? Besides the general, what I really do not like about this forced changed is the fact that technically it wipes out 30 years of equipment in one day.
  06-09-2008, 01:48 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
They had to do it, so the broadcasters can move on. Hopefully they'll utilize the open channels for something good.
  06-09-2008, 04:46 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The open spectrum is set to be sold to wireless online/phone services (bidding ended a month or two ago), and then an expansion to emergency service bandwidth.

Much like oil, the airwave frequencies are a limited commodity. Television was an elephant that had to be replaced with mice.

06-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Verified Member

I will get one of those converter boxes in the meantime. I suppose none of them will still act as a pass-through device even if the box is off (my svhs deck does this, lets the cable signal go through despite the vcr not being turned on)?
I assume on of the newer tivo type devices can accept the newer signals. I use a panny deck (w/Hard drive) to record some shows during the day to watch at home later (nothing I keep). Would need something that can do a variety of channels. I need this unless those digital 2 analog converters do allow pass through while still converting the signal.
  06-23-2008, 06:46 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Are you recording off Cable or Sat? If so, you don't need to do anything, they do it for you.
  06-25-2008, 11:28 AM

Verified Member

well I had the basic service that did not require a cable box. However this past week I did some adding and if I did get the HD box not only would I get a bunch of extra channels and no longer need anything for the 2009 change but I also would save an extra $2.

I find it ironic that for a while I have been paying so much for basic service and that for two dollars less I get a hell of a lot more channels and the stupid box, go figure