Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

06-02-2009, 07:32 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 167 posts since Jun 2005
Can anyone help me determine which video camera to buy?
The camera will be used for vacations, school functions, sporting events, family home movies, and etc.
My present video camera is 10 year old Sony Digital 8.
My price limit is approximately $500, but I hope to spend a lot less.
It looks like my money can buy a camera with more features and less weight.
I think that I should pay attention to optical zoom only.
What type of storage media should the camera use?
What are important/ useful features, where to buy the camera, and am I asking the right questions?
Any help will be appreciated?
Thank you.
  06-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...mera-1453.html
  06-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
I absolutely love my new Kodak Zi6. It's a Flash Memory (SD Card) based HD video camera. They're very cheap (around $140). Admittedly, it doesn't have the bells and whistles of a fancy camcorder, but the size and portability are awesome.

I carry it in my pocket almost all the time. That's a big plus with kids. At any moment, one of the boys will do something and I can now quickly record it.

I like that I don't have to mess with capturing video to convert it to DVD. I can quickly back up raw files to DVD. SD media is cheap. I've got an 8 GB card for $20.

Here's a clip you can watch in HD
http://www.vimeo.com/4950547

and here's another clip
http://www.vimeo.com/4787279

Again, it's not perfect for everything. I like my Canon for long recording and zoom capability (school plays, full T-Ball games, etc). But the Zi6 is my new favorite.

Amazon has a Refurb for $99

or

a new Zi6 for $139
  06-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 167 posts since Jun 2005
Duncan and Lordsmurf, thanks for the help.
Duncan that is the stuff that I want to record. Your family looks like they are having agreat time!
That small Kodak is great...that would be great to carry in the car all the time.
I will study the Cannon cameras. I am sure that I will have more questions.