Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

11-15-2017, 01:43 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando786 View Post
I still keep in touch with a couple guys KidneyBoy and Rob (he has a youtube channel now)
Tell them to join here. I remember Kidneyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman666 View Post
I can't believe how long its been gone. It seems like yesterday......that's kinda what happens when you get old
mostly because I haven't had much reason to trade. It's hard to find stuff that I'm looking for
The era of streaming and torrents is to "blame", because lots of what we used to scrimp and scrounge for, in any quality, is now available fully released, sometimes even restored. And of course, that's not really a bad thing. There's still reason to trade, as not everything is available, and it still happens quite a bit, but less so now that the 1990s and 2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando786 View Post
PSX ISO Collection.
lol now its just one fast trip to an emulation site and it's all there.
I think gaming has shifted a lot, too. PSX is not seen as vintage, just old. I've seen large downloads of the old ISOs available, but those seems unpopular due to size alone.

Quote:
Yeah, back then everything was on physical media so we all had rooms in our houses full of JUST discs. Now, I probably have 50 discs TOTAL in my house and everything else is on external hard drives as ISOs
Me: Discs in closet, ISOs on drives, streaming to whole house via WDTVs.
  11-15-2017, 03:53 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 167 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to rockman666 Send a message via AIM to rockman666 Send a message via MSN to rockman666 Send a message via Yahoo to rockman666
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Me: Discs in closet, ISOs on drives, streaming to whole house via WDTVs.
I'm with you on that.....my entire collection is on NAS drives (I've got 7 of the 12tb devices just for the DVD video stuff) and I stream it all through the house using WDTV, BoxeeBox and KDLinks devices. It's a beautiful thing not having to look for discs anymore
  11-15-2017, 04:28 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
I'm with you on that.....my entire collection is on NAS drives (I've got 7 of the 12tb devices just for the DVD video stuff) and I stream it all through the house using WDTV, BoxeeBox and KDLinks devices. It's a beautiful thing not having to look for discs anymore
I really like the menu of shows viewable on TV.

"Hmm.... do I feel like re-run of Get Smart? Nah. Too corny right now."
< Looks some more >
"Maybe something newer like NCIS? Nah, too serious."
< Looks some more >
"I feel sciency right now. Hmmm... how about that science documentary I keep meaning to watch? Also too serious..."
< Looks some more >
"I know! Star Wars!"
< Looks some more >
"Ah, Clone Wars. Perfect!"

Total time: 2-3 minutes sitting in my recliner with remote in hand.

All without having to dig around, get sidetracked when I can't find the disc I want, and getting frustrated.

It's like having my own TV network in-house.
  11-15-2017, 04:48 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 167 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to rockman666 Send a message via AIM to rockman666 Send a message via MSN to rockman666 Send a message via Yahoo to rockman666
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I really like the menu of shows viewable on TV.

"Hmm.... do I feel like re-run of Get Smart? Nah. Too corny right now."
< Looks some more >
"Maybe something newer like NCIS? Nah, too serious."
< Looks some more >
"I feel sciency right now. Hmmm... how about that science documentary I keep meaning to watch? Also too serious..."
< Looks some more >
"I know! Star Wars!"
< Looks some more >
"Ah, Clone Wars. Perfect!"

Total time: 2-3 minutes sitting in my recliner with remote in hand.

All without having to dig around, get sidetracked when I can't find the disc I want, and getting frustrated.

It's like having my own TV network in-house.
Exactly right. I have all of my stuff broken down by category too, each NAS device holds similar content broken down by cartoons, movies, tv shows, wrestling etc.....also, everything in alphabetized with sub folders #-Z, some stuff I have in its own folders if I have like 20 discs of a certain show just so its not crowding a particular letter in the alphabet. I just basically point my media player to the root directory of each device and when I boot it up, ALL the directories are right there to sift through. So my media player basically shows these at startup all as ISO files and everything has full menu support except the blu-ray ISOs
Cartoons (#-M)
Cartoons (N-Z)
Movies (#-H)
Movies (I-Z)
Blu-ray #-H)
Blu-ray (I-Z)
TV Shows
Music
Wrestling 1
Wrestling 2

Truly a space saver and most importantly, a time saver
  11-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
You can find all the old games on archive.org. They all work great on the shield tv.
  12-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 2 posts since Mar 2014
Quote:
Big, good to see you bro. Welcome to the elite forum that's keeping the past alive
Just stopping by to knock the dust off of this old thread. Hope y'all are doing well and staying safe & healthy!