Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

03-02-2006, 02:10 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 332 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to hordeprime
This isn't video tech, so I figured I'd ask here. Anyway, I was working on my computer when all of a sudden it went out on me. Screen went blank, like a power failure. So I figured the power supply must have gone bad, so I got two more and installed each; none worked. All I get is a blinking light on the motherboard, and the small fan inside turns an inch, but that's it. So my cousin thinks I have a motherboard problem. The stuff is roughly four years old. Has anyone encountered a problem like this? And does it sound like a motherboard problem?
  03-02-2006, 02:39 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
Yup, sounds like a motherboard. Have you stripped out all the cards and applied power? Do you get any beeps from the system with the cards removed? Usually if you yank the video, audio and all the other cards, and power up the system, the motherboard will beep (complain). If not, your motherboard is probably being held down from booting. Also try removing all but 1 memory module (a SIMM may have gone bad).

The small fan inside? Is that the one on the CPU? If so, it's could still be the motherboard causing a load on the power supply and the fan stops.
  03-02-2006, 04:07 AM

Verified Member

I didn't remove any of the components save the power supply, so everything is pretty much as it was when I tried to reactivate the computer.

Yeah, it's the small fan inside.
  03-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Yip, Not to sound redunant. I agree with padre. No post beep . Your board is dead.
  03-02-2006, 07:05 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 267 posts since Jun 2005
You sound redundant

Yeah i think you need a new board too.
  03-02-2006, 07:17 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
What I was suggesting is TO remove the other components attached, like any PCI cards. Then try powering it up and see (or listen) if anything changes.
  03-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Gramma of CPS

LMAO@ wigam ok ok.. Notorious Cp typos lol REDUNDANT . Just for the kicks. Change the battery on the motherboard. It only cost 3.00-5.00
Not A Certified tech. I would check all the dumb stuff first. Check your memory modules . If one goes. You won't get anything on your monitor. Much like a dead video card.

Bios chip could have crapped out too.. Hopefully just something simple like memory or battery.

Did you happen notice if your pc was keeping the correct date & time before it went down?

I feel for you... I m constantly fighting my old pos.
  03-03-2006, 02:41 AM

Verified Member

Everything seemed okay at the time. I was listening to a radio station streaming through the speakers, and my printer was printing out an article, and then *poof* it went out, as if someone cut the power. I thought we had a power failure at first, but the lights were still on, so that wasn't likely.
  03-03-2006, 02:50 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
what motherboard is it?

I have the Asrock 939, and when I first set it up I did not connect the PSU to the circled connector on the MB, it acted the same way yours did...if you have this on yours double check to make sure it is connected...that **may** be the culprit. Also double check to make sure the main PSU connection is seated correctly.
  03-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Just keep in mind there is a high lemon rate with new PSUs. I had to go through about 3-4 of them before I found one worth two squats. I got a 500W one for around $99. My system load was too much for the stocked 300-400W one.
  03-03-2006, 06:23 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

Just keep in mind there is a high lemon rate with new PSUs. I had to go through about 3-4 of them before I found one worth two squats. I got a 500W one for around $99. My system load was too much for the stocked 300-400W one.
Agreed, Antec PSU's are top notch, they come at a price but are worth it IMO.

These are handy too, of course you can do it the old school way with a paper clip but these testers are a lot easier and have more features.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Supply-PSU...QQcmdZViewItem

03-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Gramma of CPS

try directron.com pretty good deals on parts. Fast for ground
  03-09-2006, 02:07 PM

Verified Member

Excellent news!

My computer is fixed now. As it turned out, it was a motherboard problem. Another one got installed, not a brand new one, but I don't believe it's been used.