Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

07-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I thought E3 was a rousing success but apparently they are taking it down a great deal ridding themselves of about 40,000+ attendees

E3 convention will be toned down
By Kim Peterson
Seattle Times technology reporter

A few years ago, one company at the Electronics Entertainment Expo video-game convention decided to bring two teams of bikini-clad girls onto the show floor to play beach volleyball in front of attendees.

It was a typical stunt for E3, as the annual Los Angeles convention is called in the industry. Stage some over-the-top event – usually involving scantily clad women – to draw media attention to your video game. As years went on, the theatrics became more brazen and less professional.

No more. The trade group that operates the show announced today that it will tone down the convention, particularly the large exhibition that was more side show than trade show. The next E3, scheduled for May 2007, will focus on press events and small business meetings.

"Over the years, it has become clear that we need a more intimate program," said Douglas Lowenstein, president of the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), which runs the convention. That means higher quality and more personal dialogue with the industry, he added.

More details about the revamped convention will be coming in the next few months, the ESA said.

The ESA's membership reportedly voted last Wednesday to scale back E3. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Lowenstein said the target attendance would be 5,000, compared with more than 50,000 in the past.

The event even has a new, tentative name – the E3 Media Festival.
  07-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I remember when E3 was invite only, before it was even referred to as "E3". It really got sort of stupid in the past 10 years. Lately it more resembled Girls Gone Wild meets Jerry Springer. In the old days, it was more like a small comic convention.

Video gamers are nerds with bad/immature attitudes. At least comic/toy collectors are usually nice to one another. I really wanted to go to that convention circa 1993, back when video games were played for fun. I have no desire to interact with probably 49,990 of the 50,000 people found at the last one.

It's a good move. Cull the kids and get back to business.