Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

08-21-2006, 05:15 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, i am considering having cable internet installed and using the vonage phone service. does anyone here use vonage? from my calculations we could save 20 to 30 dollars a month this way not to mention better internet connection and phoneline wouldn't be tied up like it is with dialup. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks
  08-21-2006, 06:14 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 227 posts since Jun 2005
We don't use Vonage, but another option is http://skype.com/

Calls are free through the internet. Occasionally we end up with a bad connection, and so we just need to redial. Works great for our frugal family.
  08-21-2006, 06:18 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 222 posts since Jun 2005
I am not sure where you live but keep in mind that if power goes out so does voip phone service - regular phone service is on even if the power isn't. Here in Florida it is too risky in my opinion to go to voip exclusively because of long periods without power following major storms. Just a thought
  08-21-2006, 06:34 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, thanks for the info. when hurricane katrina came thru last year (we are 3 to 4 hours north of the gulf coast), our landline phone service, cellphone service, and everything else was out for about a week. so it didn't matter whether we had a landline or not. thanks
  08-22-2006, 10:52 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
I used Vonage, and while the vonage system was good, Comcast cable (internet connection) was not. If the broadband provider you are using does not have good infrastructure, your screwed. We had to give up on Vonage cause my connections kept dying after the 6th hop out of my house. Nothing vonage can do anything about though. Other than that, we loved it.
  08-22-2006, 11:33 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
I've got Vonage, and I agree with Tcel93, it all depends on the performance of your underlying broadband service provider. I have Comcast too, and so far (knock on wood), the access has been stable. The only downside about VoIP/Vonage is that during a heavy download, you do impact the quality of the phone call. They attempt to use QoS to dedicate bandwidth to the voice call, but it doesn't always work.
  08-23-2006, 03:22 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
I have phone with comcast cable package. My phone is still on. Although the interent is terminated. Starts out reasonable next thing you know . You faced with a whoppin 250- 300.00 cable bill WTF!!! I have turned in all my paid reciepts. Awaiting a call from managment. If no call today. I m walking back up the office. Which is 2 blocks away. This time nice cp will be left at home.

08-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I just dumped vonage.

Crappy reception to put it mildly.

If I was downloading a program or game, zilch.
and as well if the power went out-
I upped my cell plan for the same money vonage was charging me.
Rollover minutes galore.