Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

01-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met..._no_pants.html

No pants needed for MARTA ride

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Atlanta’s No Pants brigade pre-empted Jamie Kendrick’s big plans of the Monster Jam truck rally on Saturday.

En route from her Canton home to the Georgia Dome — on her very first MARTA ride — she witnessed nearly three dozen pranksters who took to the trains in their underwear.

“I thought that maybe they work at Hooters,” the day care worker said of the two women standing in her car in white cotton high-cut briefs. “But then I thought, ‘I got new panties on, so does that mean I can take off my britches, too?’”

She didn’t.

The idea of brotherhood of traveling pantless began in 2002, when seven people hopped New York City subways and dropped trou on their trips, according to Improv Everywhere, a New York-based guerrilla theater group.

Saturday marked Atlanta’s first time participating in what is officially known as the “No Pants Day 2K9.”

The rules were simple. Thirty-four participants who showed up at the Five Points MARTA station Saturday afternoon were to get on the same northbound train. In small groups, they took off their pants, rode to the next stop, got off, then got on the next, following train — still without pants.

At the Lindbergh stop, they reassembled and rode back downtown, pantless.

Briefs, boxers and panties were all welcome. No one could go commando.

“It’s especially ironic to do this when Atlanta is debating letting people wear baggy pants,” said Fredo Aponte, an industrial designer who has participated in similar “flash mob” silliness such as a pillow fight in front of the High Museum.

Few spectators got that deep. One man averted his eyes and clasped his female companion’s hand, to avoid a possible glance at the tighty whities. Most, though, just took pictures or burst into laughter.

Patrick Carlson, who owns a design firm in Atlanta, was a big hit with shiny new blue boxers that matched perfectly with his suit, tie and loafers.

“Now I got something to talk about today,” a clearly amused Calvin Marshall said after getting a shot of Carlson on his camera phone. “I’m from New Jersey, and we do not get riders like that there.”

Apparently, it isn’t all that unusual in Atlanta. A MARTA officer marched directly to 15-year-old Hunter Hughes, of Sandy Springs, rocking back and forth on his heels in green boxers at the North Avenue station.

And, he kept walking right on by as Hughes looked for the train.

Having gone pantless without a hitch, the group reconvened after about two hours at Five Points. The next plan was dinner. In pants.

“It’s almost hard to recognize people without their pants off,” Hughes said as the group melted into the crowd.
  01-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Maybe they should watch the Ren & Stimpy episode "No Pants Today".
  01-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I think, out of all places I wouldn't want to be pantless, its a new jersey subway.
Seriously---the thought of my bare skin, on those seats..

Ew...
  01-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Yeah...that's pretty oogie.