Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

08-18-2005, 12:10 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 10 posts since Jun 2005
I love my DISH Network. I just upgraded from cable about a week ago. DISH Network offers more for the buck, and the quality is SO much better than cable. I was making a copy of some tapes of shows that I had recorded off cable, and I was amazed at how bad the quality was from cable (in comparison to DISH). The only thing I have found that I don't like with DISH is that I had to pay $5.99 for five extra superstations (KTLA, WPIX, and a few other WB/UPN affiliates), then $1.50 per ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. I also had to request a distant network waiver so I could get ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX from Los Angeles. However, I'm sure that I'd have to do the same with DirectTV to get "local" channels. Also DISH Network even called to make sure everything was going okay!
  08-18-2005, 12:18 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 124 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to tobal2
The only problem I've had with Dish was when I requested the second dish that they install free for some locals in my area.
After wrangling with them for ~3 weeks they finally installed it, plus I got a free month on my Top 180 package for the hassle.

It was worth the headache though, because that second dish was the one required to get VOOM HD, and if you don't happen to need it for your locals they charge ~$200 to install it!
  08-18-2005, 04:27 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 283 posts since Jun 2005
My second Dish install was a total mess,when I had them installed the second dish for Voom. The installer got lost and showed up at 10:30 pm, he was done around midnight.
  08-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
VOOM is awesome..If you have HD TV, you should get it.. Also like I said, more VOOM channels on the way!!!!
  08-20-2005, 10:10 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by debwalsh

Dan - HD meaning "Hi-Def" or HD meaning "hard drive"? I have a DVR receiver hooked up to my closed caption enabled TV, and I generally do not have a problem, except for the odd commercial that doesn't have captions (oh, that's a big loss). I'm hard of hearing, so I use caption tracks on almost everything I watch. I never noticed an issue with the other receiver, which did not have the DVR capability, because it was hooked up to a TV that was not caption enabled. It frustrates me that the TV in the family room, where I do all my DVD recording, does not support captions - or at least, we can't turn them on, as the original remote control was lost years ago. Sigh.

I was wondering if you were looking for a different type of captioning, more like what WGBH originally introduced in the early '80s when they invented captioning, where captions were actually built into the video of the broadcast, not another track to be interpreted by the TV.

Hmm, the lack of caption support on the receiver seems to be in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. TV manufacturers are required to offer captions (anything past what - 1991, I think?). I'm surprised that receivers could legitimately bypass them. Then again, we have a lot of DVD sets coming out these days that have not licensed the caption tracks - A&E DVDs, for example. They're missing the boat, IMHO.
Hi Deb,

Yes, HD, meaning HI-DEF. Also, none of the programs were receiving CC through the T.V.s directly connected to DISH receivers, not even those programs produced with CC capabilities. I understand that we may have had 1 bad receiver, but two bad receivers who couldn't handle CC?...that's hard for me to believe.

As to your supposition that receivers/t.v.'s that don't support CC are in violation of the AWDA, you're correct. But rather than get in to a long and heated argument with the DISH rep on the phone, my sister opted to cut the service and switch to Directv.
  09-03-2005, 03:16 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 201 posts since Jun 2005
I think directv is the best. What I don't like is that they ask you for your SS# to setup your account. I just want to watch cable for chrissakes! I'm not applying for a credit card.
  09-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
I've said it once and I will say it again, Direct doesnt offer HD channels like Dish does, Tobal2 will agree with me on this, VOOM ROCKS!!!!
  01-23-2007, 05:16 AM

Verified Member

bumped for informational purposes...
  01-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
1.09 service charge included in this post lol
  01-24-2007, 05:07 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 87 posts since Jun 2006
wow, this thread is 2 yrs old and I only stumbled on it today! Very very informative! I was in the market for a dish service (currently have basic cable with comcast), and the side by side comparison really helps.

Thanks for making my life alot easier! Thinking of going the Direct TV route!
  01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I hope one day to have DN.
  02-20-2007, 03:10 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 87 posts since Jun 2006
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Krichton

I think directv is the best. What I don't like is that they ask you for your SS# to setup your account. I just want to watch cable for chrissakes! I'm not applying for a credit card.
I totally agree with this. I just got off the phone with a Direct TV rep and I was totally turned off by this request.

Well in the end, I did finally gave my SS# and we're having Direct TV installed this Friday.

I was toying back and forth between Comcast Digital Cable and Direct TV. I currently have Comcast hi speed with Basic cable and that package amounts to 62 bucks a month. If I were to drop the basic cable portion, my comcast bill only goes down a buck! These f'ers really want you to stay!

But anywho, I'll report in and give my final review of Direct TV!
  03-08-2007, 11:13 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 184 posts since Jun 2005
I'm interesed in finding out when DirectTV will have the expanded number of HD channels. I'm ready to dump Comcast Digital cable and switch to satellite.
  03-09-2007, 04:52 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Where the hell is the competition for Comcast???? They charge way to much money for cable.
  04-15-2007, 10:55 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
Well, it seems to me that Dish looks to be the best sat option

I just compared prices and Dish is cheaper with all the channels excluding sports.

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  04-15-2007, 10:56 AM

Verified Member

bumped again for informational purposes...
  05-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 657 posts since Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to jtmovies91
I'm gong to say Directv all the way-unless you need tech support, and then good luck getting someone that can actually speak English. Oh well-they have to work as well, but it gets tiresome having to repeat your self so they can try to understand what you are saying-I usually get aggravated and ask for prootection plan, afterall mom pays for it, and they usually solve the problem within minutes.