Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

02-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Ultraman Battles Onto DVD- The Japanese hero debuts on DVD in July.

In July of 2006, BCI will release all 39 episodes of the classic Japanese live-action television series Ultraman on DVD. Greg Glass, Senior Vice President of BCI, said "Ultraman represents one of the most popular 'tokusatsu' - special effects - superhero genre productions ever to come out of Japan. This series pre-dated the popular Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and we expect it to garner a tremendous fan base here in the United States."

Ultraman is the story of a series of "Ultra-heroes" that arrive on Earth to fight giant, evil monsters set on destroying the world. Each ultraman can grow to over 200 feet tall, and uses a variety of energy emission powers, as well as expert, hand-to-hand martial arts fighting styles.

Check out this image of Ultraman, offered by BCI in lieu of final box artwork:

02-14-2006, 06:44 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
Is it going to be one boxset? Probably not. They will probably try to screw the US over and release 5 eps at a time for $29.99 a pop! No thanks!! I have an excellent import set already!!
  02-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Verified Member

Greg do you know who BCI is? its the company releasing the Filmation toons not Sony or WB who are infamous for crappy releases. They dont do the volume releases with 5 episodes. Every one of their releases has been at least 25 episodes if not more, they also work hand in hand with the fans to get extras and material for documentaries

Its only 39 episodes,I highly doubt it will be anything but one boxed set.

The 2 guys who run BCI are members of he-man.org and regularly post about their dvd releases, they just got Defenders of the Earth as well from Marvel to release in a US boxed set.
  02-14-2006, 02:30 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
Yes, BCI is seemingly doing its best to rise out of the "quick budget relase" deal. The he-man season 1 set they put out was quite nice.

But its about time someone released the original Ultraman. IMAGE had the rights to these a few years ago however and did nothing with it.
  02-15-2006, 04:19 AM

Excellent! Maybe these guys will do Ultra right then! It would be great if they would release all of the Ultra series.
  02-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Verified Member

Yeah I think they will Greg, the documentary maker who is working on the 16 documentaries that are going on the He-man sets is now looking to put together some nice extras and get in touch with anybody who has worked on the US translation of the series to get something going for this release

His webpage is here http://www.andymangels.com/

I know my brother will be all over this release because this was his favorite series, I am a Ultranewb so it will be nice to see a good release of this as well.
  02-16-2006, 06:34 AM

Its gonna have to be something REALLY awesome because the import set I have ROCKS!!!I wont buy it just to have it. Hey Mark, if you want to check out a disc or two of classic Ultra until then ,let me know.