Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

06-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Just got back with our 10pm tickets (it opened early today in Iowa because Brandon R is from here)....cant wait.

I will try and post a non spoiler review when I get back home
  06-27-2006, 12:18 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 343 posts since Oct 2005
Send a message via AIM to Skuff Send a message via Yahoo to Skuff
Excellent!!! Can't wait to hear about it!
  06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Verified Member

Just got back.....one work EXCELLENT! It started with a trailer for Spiderman 3 and then segwayed into the movie and WOW what a movie

Some people will probably not like it since it does NOT contain an origin story but its layered in Superman history that DC fans will love, little touches that show people from writer to director to actor CARED about the roles. There may be some discrepancies with comic book dorks but from all the ones I heard from tonight not one can say things were done wrong. DC and WB are REALLY pushing Marvel in the comic book movie genre, with Batman Begins and Superman Returns they have established what Marvel did with Spiderman 1 and 2 and X-Men 2.

Bryan Singer has done what only Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, and Christopher Nolan have been able to do and thats deliver a comic book/hero movie that is full of emotion and love for the brand.

Just as Batman Begins undid all the years of bad karma for Batman, Superman Returns did the same.

I cant say too much without spoiling it but if you have never seen the original Superman you wont get jack crap of whats going on. Once you see the intro you will understand and if you are lost then you will have to remain lost until you see the original Superman, for almost all aspects this movie ignores Superman II (well parts anyway as you will see)/III/IV in every way, shape and form just as it should!

The intro 5 mins is worth the price of admission itself and the use of Marlan Brando's lines and acting was superb.

Christopher Reeves would be proud, Brandon played it perfectly and nailed both the Clark Kent role as well as Superman.

Kevin Spacey definitly channeled Gene Hackman and mixed in of Clancy Brown's immortal JL Luthor.

I am just in awe over this movie, I am seeing it again on Friday to see if I can catch anything I missed.

I cant recommend it enough, it was dark when it needed to be dark, emotional when it needed to be emotional (the timing is excellent especially between Luthor and his girlfriend Kitty), and overall you cared about the characters which is something X3, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and Hulk failed miserably doing!!
  06-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Thank GOD. I m so glad it lived it up its hype.
  06-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 343 posts since Oct 2005
Send a message via AIM to Skuff Send a message via Yahoo to Skuff
Thanks for the info, I'm definately going to see it!!!!!!!!
  06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I am for sure going to see this movie when I get back from AX. Hell, I might even go see it while I'm there.
  06-28-2006, 05:54 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 87 posts since Jun 2006
I'm seeing it tonight! I haven't gone to the theaters since what, Matrix 3? I've skipped on everything else, but Superman...that deserves the digital treatment, 8 dollar admission, and 20 bucks on snacks.

06-28-2006, 06:10 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
Just got back from watching it..It was good, but I was expecting better.
  06-28-2006, 06:26 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by markatisu

Just got back.....one work EXCELLENT! It started with a trailer for Spiderman 3 and then segwayed into the movie and WOW what a movie

Some people will probably not like it since it does NOT contain an origin story but its layered in Superman history that DC fans will love, little touches that show people from writer to director to actor CARED about the roles. There may be some discrepancies with comic book dorks but from all the ones I heard from tonight not one can say things were done wrong. DC and WB are REALLY pushing Marvel in the comic book movie genre, with Batman Begins and Superman Returns they have established what Marvel did with Spiderman 1 and 2 and X-Men 2.

Bryan Singer has done what only Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, and Christopher Nolan have been able to do and thats deliver a comic book/hero movie that is full of emotion and love for the brand.

Just as Batman Begins undid all the years of bad karma for Batman, Superman Returns did the same.

I cant say too much without spoiling it but if you have never seen the original Superman you wont get jack crap of whats going on. Once you see the intro you will understand and if you are lost then you will have to remain lost until you see the original Superman, for almost all aspects this movie ignores Superman II (well parts anyway as you will see)/III/IV in every way, shape and form just as it should!

The intro 5 mins is worth the price of admission itself and the use of Marlan Brando's lines and acting was superb.

Christopher Reeves would be proud, Brandon played it perfectly and nailed both the Clark Kent role as well as Superman.

Kevin Spacey definitly channeled Gene Hackman and mixed in of Clancy Brown's immortal JL Luthor.

I am just in awe over this movie, I am seeing it again on Friday to see if I can catch anything I missed.

I cant recommend it enough, it was dark when it needed to be dark, emotional when it needed to be emotional (the timing is excellent especially between Luthor and his girlfriend Kitty), and overall you cared about the characters which is something X3, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and Hulk failed miserably doing!!
Possible spoilers...........

I agree with Mark 100 percent, I was against the movie almost 100 percent going into it. But it was awesome, everything clicked perfectly. There was a reason for Richard and Lois' "son", just not filler.

I also won one of two Superman Returns "In Flight" statues last night at the premiere

Also there is one plot point from Superman 2 that is in there but if you aren't familiar with the second movie as with the first like Mark mentioned you'll be lost, especially in one of the dinal Yaht scenes

Talk about a awesome night, the Son has become the Father

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  06-29-2006, 03:42 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
I saw it last night and I LOVED it! I will be the first to admit that I am one of the harshest movie critics I know..especially on superhero movies, but this movie clicked perfectly. I think Brandon Routh handled Clark/Supes equally well. The only complaint I have heard was that he wasnt clumsy enough as Clark, but what people need to recall is that was Christopher Reeves' portrayal of the character and not set in stone. George Reeves never played him as a clumsy buffoon and neither did Kirk Alyn back in the movie serials. I think Routh portrayed him accurately as a timid, kinda off-center guy. The first rescue sequence has to be seen to be believed! I am with the stadium crowd on that one..they shoulda chanted his name!!!LOL I highly recommend this to any Superman fan or even to anyone who just likes a great movie.Just imagine what X3 could have been if Singer hadnt left, instead of the steaming pile of guano that it was!!!!
  06-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Verified Member

Also the Justice League Clark Kent is not that clumsy either, he is much more serious in nature.

I felt the same way Greg, when the crowed saw him I got tingles up and down my spine.

And just think X-Men was nowhere near as good as X-2 so I can just imagine how the sequel to Superman will be since he was able to tie up all the major loose ends between Superman 1,2 and Returns.

He will be able to actually tell a new story with nothing holding him down and he should be able to correct all the complaints against Superman Returns for not having enough UMPH or going a bit slow
  06-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I saw it! I liked it!

I honestly expected something similar to The Batman, when compared to Batman TAS. In other words, a sorta-kinda imitations that you realize is an imitation. You think back to "well, that's not how it was done back when..." or "oh, that's just like the time when..." sort of situations. Never happened.

The Chris Reeves' version of Clark Kent was crap. Big stupid clumsy dork. I was happy to see Routh respecting the true intent of the character (which was based on Harold Lloyd, and done well by Kirk Alyn). Just mild mannered, with a slight goofy tendency to cover up when needed.

I still think that Routh looks a bit young and needs to put on some more weight. At very least, quit wiping Routh and Bosworth down with so much face powder. They are already a bit young for the roles, but sometimes the excess makeup really makes them look too young to fit the story. Everybody else was spot on, for age and look.

Definitely an enjoyable movie. The story, the action, the characters. Really nice.

06-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Verified Member

Well how do you think his on is gonna factor in on the movies now.
  06-29-2006, 07:28 AM

Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gatch72

Well how do you think his son is gonna factor in on the movies now.
Well unless someone offs Cyclops I think Superman will just be the boys advisor. As he will do nothing to disrupt Jason's family life by actually telling him he is his son.

Unless he figures it all out and confronts Superman himself but Superman probably won't interfer.

Brent

06-29-2006, 08:48 AM

Verified Member

I'm still undecided whether or not I liked the idea of Supes having a *bleep!*

It was quite a shocker, i tell you that. But the movie was awesome! The more and more that I think about it, the more i'm starting to love the movie. Definitely excited with the DVD release by xmas time.

06-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Verified Member

Speaking of DVD..who knows what extras they will have on it
  06-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Verified Member

If the X-men DVD's are any indication I am sure Bryan Singer has a ton of stuff to put on the release. Knowing WB though I expect 2 versions so they can make more $$$$ just like they did with Batman Begins had a single release and a 2 disc limited special edition with extras
  06-29-2006, 12:14 PM

Verified Member

It's funny how we're talking about a DVD list for a movie that had just started showing yesterday. Nevertheless, it would be fun to take Superman home.

Saw it last night on a Digital theater too. I really don't know what the difference is between digital, and the "normal" theater showing. But hey, it was all good.
  06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Verified Member

Ours was a digital one as well, I think the picture looks a bit clearer and its also easier to have multiple showings mins apart. The theater I saw it at has it running every 5mins for the first 3-5 showings.
  06-29-2006, 12:29 PM

Verified Member

There is supposed to be a new ultimate collection released this fall. Its supposed to have the first four movies and Superman Returns, as well as a couple bonus discs for each movie including alt versions of a couple of them I believe. I cant remember where I read about it though.

Brent