03-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070307/...aptain_america

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NEW YORK - Captain America has undertaken his last mission — at least for now. The venerable superhero is killed in the issue of his namesake comic that hit stands Wednesday, the Daily News reported.

On the new edition's pages, a sniper shoots down the shield-wielding hero as he leaves a courthouse, according to the newspaper.

It ends a long run for the stars-and-stripes-wearing character, created in 1941 to incarnate patriotic feeling during World War II. Over the years, an estimated 210 million copies of "Captain America" comic books, published by New York-based Marvel Entertainment Inc., have been sold in a total of 75 countries.

But resurrections are not unknown in the world of comics, and Marvel Entertainment editor in chief Joe Quesada said a Captain America comeback wasn't impossible.

Still, the character's death came as a blow to co-creator Joe Simon.

"We really need him now," said Simon, 93, who worked with artist Jack Kirby to devise Captain America as a foe for Adolf Hitler.

According to the comic, the superhero was spawned when a scrawny arts student named Steve Rogers, ineligible for the army because of his poor health but eager to serve his country, agreed to a "Super Soldier Serum" injection. The substance made him a paragon of physical perfection, armed only with his shield, his strength, his smarts and a command of martial arts.

In the comic-book universe, death is not always final. But even if Captain America turns out to have met his end in print, he may not disappear entirely: Marvel has said it is developing a Captain America movie.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cap.

At age 93, I feel sorry for Simon. He may not be around to see the character reborn again. Imagine a lifetime of being proud of a creation, only to see it disappear in your golden years.

03-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Preparing my memoriam post now.
  03-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
nah he ain't dead.
give him what, 6 months, a year and he'll be back.
just like the 3548935489 others who've come back.

just when brubaker was writing some decent stories.
dang
  03-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I dont think they should have killed him, maybe wounded him to the point he needed life support to try and live to recover but not death.

He was too important a character in Civil War and while I understand the direction, I dont agree
  03-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
We need to put together a list to see which hero's or villains have stayed dead.
  03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Verified Member

I also find this really offensive.
More propaganda BULLSH**T.

It's just like saying "Kill America".
  03-07-2007, 11:12 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
whoever came up with this idea ought to be whipped, and castrated. Ok, I'm done venting now.
  03-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tcel93

whoever came up with this idea ought to be whipped, and castrated. Ok, I'm done venting now.
I hear you there. We're in the middle of a war. They should not be doing this crap.
  03-08-2007, 02:54 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
Avengers: The Initiative was released yesterday also and is a MUST read on Caps death there is a dissuccussion between Spiderwoman and Ms. Marvel that sheds alot of light on Steve's demise.

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  03-18-2007, 12:30 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 59 posts since Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to ksmoothe1
I finally got my issue 25 of Captain America. I hit my local comic store...was sold out in friggin 2 hrs... Had to get it on Ebay for $25.00 but worth it to see the legends last fight. Love the artwork. Now maybe my Captain America figures will skyrocket in price..lol