Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

09-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
(1) This is what a clean encode from an ATI AIW card would look like,
as well as any number of better DVD recorders (Pioneer, JVC, etc):

(2) This is what a Panasonic would look like with a clean source. It has a "splotchy" effect to it, and the splotches tend to "wiggle" a bit on screen. Notice how gradient patterns are virtually destroyed:

(3)And finally, this is what happens on VHS source. Notice the blocks, the noise, and the compounding of "splotchy" effect. The image quality is turned into video kibble.

CONCLUSION: There is no special reasoning behind these errors. It's merely incompetent engineers at Panasonic developing inferior in-house video chips. Their encoders matrices are inadequate, and the bitrate is too shallow (especially on the newer line of "ES" machines).

09-09-2005, 04:34 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
So you are saying DO NOT buy a Panasonic recorder? LOL
  09-12-2005, 05:47 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
Good thing i have a pioneer....