Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

02-07-2006, 12:18 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 234 posts since Jun 2005
Help Please.

I am just trying to clarify some things regarding DVD Regions and formats. Please feel free to correct me if I make a mistake.

These are regions:
Region 0: ALL Regions
Region 1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6: China
Region 7: Reserved
Region 8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

These are formats: NTSC and PAL.

Now for the questions: I live in Canada. Therefore I am Region 1 and my DVDs are NTSC format, correct?
Is it possible to have a Region 2 (for example) dvd that is PAL format? Is it possible to have a Region 2 dvd in NTSC format?
I guess what I really want to know is, are the regions and formats independent of one another OR is a region specific to one format, example maybe Region 5 is all PAL format?

I have a JVC dvd player that I know will play DVDs other than Region 1 NTSC. For example my girlfriend's dad brought home a DVD from the UK which means it is Region 2 OR Region 0 and it is PAL format.
I assume my DVD player can only play All Region DVDs or Region 1 DVDs in either NTSC or PAL format, is this correct?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.
  02-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Region 1 IS US Canada etc
Region 2 IS UK
Region 3 Japan
Region 6 is india I think ????
  02-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Regions, and NTSC/PAL format, are separate and unrelated concepts.
There are also variations within NTSC and PAL.

Japan is R2 NTSC. But not the same NTSC as Noth American NTSC.
Europe is R2 PAL. South America is also PAL, but not the same as Europe PAL.

Most Chinese-made DVD players can play both PAL and NTSC. And then they can only do it if the region lock is lifted. You could always stick a region-less PAL or NTSC disc in a player that does both with no troubles, but if your player is not region-free it would reject R4 Australia discs, or R2 UK discs (originals, not copies).

Region Coding Encryption (RCE) is removed with most ripping software, when it exists. Discs you make yourself, from your own content (not copies of something else), cannot be tied to a certain region. All you can make is region-free discs.

02-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
yeah, what he said
  02-07-2006, 07:49 PM

Verified Member

Thanks for your help.
My DVD Player is not region free, so I guess this means I need to ofigure out how to make it region free if I wanted to watch DVDs from another region.
Also what if I bought a region 2 disc for example then copied it using software, would an all region player play that?
Thanks again.
  02-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
If you bought a Region 2 disc and made a copy that would remove the region code and thus make your disc Region 0 which means any player will read it but your player would still need to be capable of playing PAL video or you wont see anything (or you will see black and white, the player will say not capatible, etc).

Its almost a 2 step thing because there is the region code and the video type, since they are seperate things both need to be taken into account.

What model player do you have? That might help us in helping you out
  02-08-2006, 12:04 AM

Verified Member

I know that my player will read PAL since it plays all region discs from England.
It is a JVC XV-N312. So as long as I buy all region discs I am ok, PAL or NTSC.
Thanks.
  02-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Yeah since your DVD player can handle both video signals you can import anything and then if you make a copy (removing the region code) you should be good to go!
  02-08-2006, 07:38 PM

Verified Member

Thanks Everyone for your help.