Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
DO NOT DISTRUBUTE THESE IMAGES !!!
I have limited allowances to use these images, but it only includes private scenarios, like this forum of a relatively small number of people. It is NOT authorized for mass distribution or full publication (like public web pages, e-mail chain letters, etc). Heed this, thanks.

Anyway, here is an image I scanned with my new film/slide scanner (had to replace old one, it basically died). This was a model shoot I did 3 years ago.

Check out the processed image vs the raw image. Now, this is one very attractive girl, it's why she's a model. But film has a habit of making people look bad, or simply show the truth. But the model industry is not about truth, but fantasy and unreal perfection.

AFTER PROCESSING:

BEFORE PROCESSING:

This is really not very hard to do, just takes a little practice, as well as a good memory (remember the skills!), and the ability to read (tutorials from other pro photographers).

04-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Awesome job. I'd be interested in how to "airbrush" the skin tones in photoshop. That's one trick I've never picked up.

I guess I could Google it, but if you've got any links, that would be cool.
  04-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I use the "Neat Image" plugin for Photoshop and then either create a new profile from my film/slides, or I load a pre-made profile for my Nikon D1. That takes care of a lot of noise. NoiseNinja is another one that is available. Both have limited trials. They only run like $75 to buy for the pro version, less for non-pro versions.

My Nikon V ED scanner also has ICE, ROC, GEM and DEE on it. So those can help with noise and imperfections.

Another trick I use is a variation on this guide: http://www.glamour1.com/tips/articles/snapshots.php
With snapshots, you can do a lot of things that would have otherwise been difficult or downright impossible. That and the clone tool are how I did some of the skin and blemish correction.

For the eyes, I just add a new layer, drop in close with a brush, pick a color I want, and then blend. For this one, it was soft something (forget exact name) and then it was 30% or so. Have to be REALLY careful with adding new colors, easy to mess up.

The image here is also from Fuji slidefilm, so I have a lot to work with, in terms of clarity and exposure.

I could actully do MUCH better, this was just a quickie to show CPS members what all you can do in Photoshop. Photos are no different than DVD menus or DVD case artwork. If an image is not perfect, fix it, make it look nice for that menu or case. Not hard to do, just spend time learning.

I learned a lot of this stuff from some pretty well-known photographers, first hand, either from them personally, through correspondence, or by attending workshops they put on. In 2004, I had to quit taking photos for various reasons, costs being one of them. I decided about a week ago that I've been away from the camera too long, and need to pick it up again, and try to make contact with those from my past.

Unfortunately, one of my teachers died last year. I just found out this morning, while trying to hunt down a few people. He was actually pretty well-known, and came from a family of well-known artist.

04-13-2006, 03:01 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Okay smurfy.. I m gonna regret this lol. Restore this photo.

Only difference between then & now my hair is as long as the model above .
I still look like that

The guy is stripper I hired for my friends 21 first birthday

I told you I was short ROTFLMAO
  04-13-2006, 05:14 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 267 posts since Jun 2005
How come you don't have a face?
  04-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Gramma of CPS

lol POLARIOD lOL The question is.. Can LS do fix it . I challenge you
  04-14-2006, 12:41 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
Here is just one of the tutorial sites I have found.

I have not gone through it all, but it looks very informative:

http://www.good-tutorials.com/
  04-15-2006, 05:01 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,139 posts since Jun 2005
it's better ls do not fix the face ,.. lol
  04-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Gramma of CPS

LOL