Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

07-10-2007, 10:47 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I've been having problems with my lite-on dvd recordable drive in my pc, when I put a disc in it just sitsa there and tries to boot the cd up, sounds alot like the old 3 1/2 floppy trying to boot. It does this with different dvds. Is it time to have to replace the drive?
  07-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
sounds like the laser is having problems reading it.

Does it do it to just blanks or real dvds as well?

You could try to gently clean the laser (LS has several posts somewhere on CPS about it) but I think it might be better if it becomes too much of a hassle to consider it dead, what with new and reliable DVD burners being as low as $29-35 these days
  07-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
It needs a cleaning. One of my LiteOn units is the same way. Even if the drive went bad, you can swap it for pretty much any LiteOn-manufactured drive. Cheaper than tossing the whole unit.

07-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
If I changed it with another Lite On drive, would I have to install the new software or could I just use the same software for the old drive?

Any reccomendations on how to clean the laser?
  07-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I thought you meant a recorder. You're talking about a computer burner. I'd just clean it. If it fails, replace with a Pioneer or NEC brand new.