Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

08-02-2007, 06:17 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 39 posts since Jun 2005
Its been some time since this topic has come up and ive seen several new models come out, and others disappear. Im thinking of getting a new one so I though Id see what I could get in the way of recomendations.
  08-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Most new models are pretty bad.

- If you want a hard drive DVD recorder, buy a Toshiba XS series machine, maybe a JVC 30/300 if you can find one.
- If you want a non-HDD machine, and plan to use the tuner (antenna, analog cable) or convert VHS, buy a JVC 10/100 refurb.
- If you want to record from digital cable or satellite, never tuner/analog cable or VHS tapes, then take a look at the RCA 8030N (has hard drive) at Walmart.

08-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 39 posts since Jun 2005
I Might have found a place to get the JVC DRM100S DR-M100 but these are discontinued and my question was actually more to find out what is available now. Walk in the store and buy a DVD recorder. I understand that the new stuff isn't as good as the old but what would be the best of the bad?
  08-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
DVD recorders are largely unpopular, with people preferring on-demand and PVRs. Companies are losing interest, because it won't make them billions. So many of the models now in stores are pretty terrible. You'd basically have to use 2-hour mode on everything, and your VHS conversions would probably look worse than the VHS tapes.

The RCA and the Toshiba XS can still be found in some stores. It depends on what's around you. As a video collector, meaning you're a bit more serious than Joe Sixpack, I'd suggest you go for that JVC machine.

08-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
The RCA's are now being phased out of Walmarts so you can get them for under $80 if you check the clearance areas.

I never had much luck with them but I think Marcus and LS have one.